Brookland Metro area: more open drug use, related nuisances

  • brian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2014
      Neighbors, with the return of 2014 school sessions, I'm sorry to report more open drug use and related nuisances on the streets and blocks close to the Brookland/CUA Metro Station and LCM HS.

      Please be on the lookout for such open drug use, as well as drug trafficking to LCM's HS students. Indeed, report any suspicious activity on 10th to 12th, Lawrence, Monroe, Newton and Otis. Peak times are around 8:30 am to 9:30 am and 2:30 to 3:30 pm+ on school days.
      Call 911 (OUC/ Office of Unified Communications) for a POLICE response-- and to report any such illicit activity. You need not give your name nor personally file a report.

      Note the 911 operator's number, always given when they answer your call. If you do not receive prompt, attentive service from a 911 operator, don't hesitate to let all of us and OUC/911 Director Jennifer Greene know about it...

      There is absolutely NO excuse for 911 operators trying to discourage such reports and an effective MPD response to open drug use and trafficking around DC Public Schools and Metro Station areas.

      Failure to enforce laws against open drug use and trafficking only invites perpetrators of more serious robberies and crimes of violence to a neighborhood.

      brian
    • Stephanie A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2014
        And, as I reported to WMATA there are several lamp posts at the Brookland Metro that are not lit.  I noticed this the past few months since the time changed.  At the top of the escalator steps, and along the walkways; the entire area is dimly lit.

        If WMATA were to turn the lamp posts on that will create at least a more well lit area for riders who use the Brookland station.

        And, especially with all the increased walking traffic due to the new development in the area.

        Thank you
        Stephanie

        Stephanie "The One"

        "You Become Like the 5 People You Spend the Most Time With.  Choose Carefully!" - Unknown

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Beach, Mark (MPD)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2014
          Stephanie, thank you for your observations.  I sent this community safety concern to Metro Transit Police Department's Chief of Police Ronald Pavlik to have assessed and rectified.

          We really appreciate you and others like you sharing your keen observations, feelings, perceptions and opinions with us as we work together to make our community the model for the District of Columbia.  Stay safe...

          Mark Beach
          Assistant Patrol District Commander
          Metropolitan DC Police Department
          Fifth Police District
          1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
          Washington, DC 20002
          202-345-1313 BeachBerry
          202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
          202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
          202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
          202-727-9099 Command Information Center
          "Commitment to Excellence"

          Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32°F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert: call the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311. Or, send an email to the Shelter Hotline (uposh@...).

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2014
            Stephanie,

            This was reported last night to WMATA at the Public Health and Safety group meeting.  WMATA reported out that the lighting issue belongs to DDOT.  A call has been placed regarding your observation.

            Thanks!

            Triumph is only a word when it lacks moral and honest substance.

            On Jan 16, 2014, at 6:06 AM, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

            Stephanie, thank you for your observations.  I sent this community safety concern to Metro Transit Police Department's Chief of Police Ronald Pavlik to have assessed and rectified.

            We really appreciate you and others like you sharing your keen observations, feelings, perceptions and opinions with us as we work together to make our community the model for the District of Columbia.  Stay safe...

            Mark Beach
            Assistant Patrol District Commander
            Metropolitan DC Police Department
            Fifth Police District
            1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
            Washington, DC 20002
            202-345-1313 BeachBerry
            202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
            202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
            202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
            202-727-9099 Command Information Center
            "Commitment to Excellence"

            Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32xB0;F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert: call the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311. Or, send an email to the Shelter Hotline (uposh@...).

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2014
              Thank you Mark for forwarding this info on Metro's Transit Police.  I have not heard back from WMATA yet.

              Again, thank you and you and all of MPD-5D for all your work for our communities to keep us safe.

              Be well.
              Stephanie

              Stephanie "The One"

              **I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be
              honorable, to be compassionate. It is, after all, to matter: to
              count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you
              lived at all.

              -- Leo C. Rosten (1908-1977) American Writer

              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
              CC: brookland@yahoogroups.com; brooklandglbt@yahoogroups.com