Shooting at 18th and Benning Road

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2013
      Friday afternoon about 2:10 pm a 17 year old man was shot near 18th and Benning Road, NE.

      He was taken to a hospital with a serious wound.

      Last night we arrested the person we believe is the suspect.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander , 5D

      Sent from my iPhone

      Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32?F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert, call the Shelter Hotline <http://dhs.dc.gov/page/hypothermia-alert-plan> at 1-800-535-7252 or 311.
    • Mr. Keith Jarrell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2013
        Great work. Very concerned at the level of increase in this type of violence.
        Keith

        Sent from my iPad

        On Dec 28, 2013, at 5:00 AM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

        Friday afternoon about 2:10 pm a 17 year old man was shot near 18th and Benning Road, NE.

        He was taken to a hospital with a serious wound.

        Last night we arrested the person we believe is the suspect.

        Andy Solberg
        Commander , 5D

        Sent from my iPhone

        Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32?F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert, call the Shelter Hotline <http://dhs.dc.gov/page/hypothermia-alert-plan> at 1-800-535-7252 or 311.

      • Kathy Henderson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2013
          Thank you Commander Solberg for this good news, underscoring the swift work of your team in closing this case. I wish to take this opportunity to also thank Commissioners Lewis, Dumas, Henderson and Blacknell and residents for joining me last night for our televised call to disarm. I felt it was important for our ANC 5D commissioners to jointly issue this call because there is an ongoing rivalry between Rosedale, Langston Terrace, Carver Terrace, Trinidad and Ivy City. The recent eruption of escalating gun violence in these communities, including Saratoga, Eckington Edgewood and Bates Street underscore our need to work together to take a stand against violence. Two of the shootings in Trinidad on December 2 involved Carver Terrace residents and yesterday's shooting though on the Ward 6 side of Benning Road also involved Ward 5 residents; upwards of thirty youths from Rosdale and Ward 5 allegedly participated in the chaotic and violent episode. When violence crosses ward boundaries, ANC boundaries and PSA boundaries ( there are numerous examples that attest to this fact) we must unite as concerned neigbors and responsible citizens to decry said violence. I appreciate our ANC 5D commissioners publicly standing with the police against violence in our communities.

          Finally, I urge simialrly situated community leaders and neighbors to take a stand in solidarity with our law enforcement partners. Safe communities benefit everyone.

          Kathy Henderson
          khenderson029@...