Commercial vehicles

  • Debbie Steiner
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2013
      Update:  To date over 100 tickets have been issued to violators driving unlawful commercial vehicles on residential streets.

      DC Safe streets and MPD 5D are working towards eradicating the illegal use of residential streets as cut throughs with these commercial vehicles.

      I look for a report from MPD Homeland Security, providing us an update on how many warning and fine tickets have been issued, in the New Year.

      Thanks too everyone for stepping up and helping out.

      Triumph is only a word when it lacks moral and honest substance.
    • booksnmorebooks
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2013

        Can you provide more detail about the tickets?

        What time period?  Calendar year 2013, fiscal year 2013 or fiscal year 2014?

        Is this data for the entire city, just Ward 5 or a specific PSA.  If for all of ward 5, it would be useful to get the data broken out by PSA and if possible by location/intersection.  I've seen lots of messages about specific problem intersections and it would be helpful to know if any of these tickets are being issued at the locations that have been identified as problems by residents.

        Finally, perhaps others know, but I do not -- what constitutes an unlawful commercial vehicle?  Size, lack of specific permit, or other things?

        Thank you.

      • Debbie Steiner
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2013
          Hi Anne,

          As mentioned, I will be looking for a detailed report from MPD Homeland Security regarding the commercial vehicle violators and the types of tickets issued; whether it is: a warning or fine imposed.

          Also, in addressing the 100 plus tickets issued to date; it is area specific in Ward 5 in the residential areas recently mentioned on this listserve - 2 months and, offline emails to MPD officials as well.

          I hope this answers your question as this is as specific as I can get until an actual report is generated.

          I can say with certainty, that the appearance of 14 to 16 wheelers has not be as many.  Even the concrete trucks and large flat bed trucks are not as visible on Franklin Street; 12th Street; 7th Street - all in NE.

          Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce (business) to transport passengers or property when the vehicle-
          (1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
          (2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
          (3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
          (4) Is used in transporting material.
          The GVWR is not how much your vehicle weighs, it's what your vehicles' maximum laden weight is.

          Respectfully submitted