Fatal Police Involved Shooting: 1300 Block of Queen Street, NE

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2013

      Contact: Saray Leon (202-727-4383)

      December 4, 2013

      Fatal Police Involved Shooting: 1300 Block of Queen Street, NE

      (Washington, DC)- The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a fatal police involved shooting that occurred in the 1300 block of Queen Street NE.

      On Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at approximately 9:05 pm, members of the Narcotics and Special Investigations Division (NSID), Gun Recovery Unit (GRU) attempted to stop an individual, when the suspect produced a handgun and fired at the officers – striking one of them. The officers returned fire striking the suspect.

      Personnel from DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene.  The officer was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead. The suspect’s remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner pending an autopsy.

      The suspect is identified as 19-year-old Darius Jamal Murphy from Northeast, Washington, DC.

      The Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division is conducting the investigation.

      ###

      Each

      One Give One!
      Help the DC ONE FUND reach our One City DC One Fund goal of $1 million dollars to provide much needed support to so many in our region.  Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov

    • brian.ions
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2013
        This incident highlights the extraordinary risks of sudden, deadly harm MPD officers brave every day.

        We're glad the MPD officer shot in this incident is OK. Don and I extend our profound gratitude for the officer's service and sacrifice, with our best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

        don and brian/
        psa 504
      • Debbie Steiner
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2013
          We are strong and can/will fight back on the negative elements that try to knock us down!  I believe in the power of prayer and this one goes out to this officers and all officers.

          Stay strong!! We are here for you!!

          To: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2013
            On behalf of the brave men and women serving you assigned and detailed to the Fifth Police District, we want to thank you for your trust and continued support.

            To: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com