Like C. Moore High School

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013

      All,

      In the past week or two, we have gotten a number of calls and emails relating to the behavior of students who attend Luke C. Moore High School, at 10th and Monroe Streets, NE.

      Many of the concerns referred to the disorderly behaviors of some of the students, and included hanging out, smoking marijuana, gathering on private property, gathering in groups that prevent others from walking on sidewalks, and damaging private property.

      This morning, I met with Ms. Azalia Speight, the principal, and Ms. Kitt, the dean of students.  Both say that they are aware that a small handful of students can occasionally create problems in the nearby community, and they are actively working to address the concerns.  Ms. Speight, Ms. Kitt, and several other administrators are outside of the school and on neighboring streets both before and after school to encourage the students to arrive and leave in an orderly manner.

      They know Charlie Robertson, the PSA 504 officer who walks the 12th Street footbeat during the day, and they know the three School Resource Officers who have responsibility for the school.  I believe they are doing all they can to be a “neighborhood friendly” school.

      I mentioned that 5D has received concerns recently regarding student behavior, and we agreed to take two additional steps to address the issues.

      First, I and other 5D officers will attend the December monthly Luke C. Moore student assembly and speak directly with the students to let them know that their actions are not always neighborhood friendly.  We will try to get them to see that these behaviors have a negative impact on the community and that it is their responsibility to be good neighbors.

      Second, Ms. Speight has offered to host a community gathering in the auditorium at the school.  We will try to organize this for some time in the month of December, and she is eager to gather together a handful of her students, some of her teachers and staff, and invite the neighbors to visit so that all parties can meet and get to know one another so that we can work together in a meaningful way.

      Ms. Speight feels, and I agree, that introducing students and neighbors to each other will be a productive first, or second, step.

      We will let you know the date of the meeting.

      Andy Solberg

      Commander, 5D

      Each

      One Give One!
      Help the DC ONE FUND reach our One City DC One Fund goal of $1 million dollars to provide much needed support to so many in our region.  Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov

    • Carol Carter Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013

        Kudos to you for taking the proactive step of engaging the school's administrators on this issue.  My sense of the principal is that she would want to be a partner in strategizing to reduce negative activity around the school.

        I'd like to suggest an additional partner:  METRO.  METRO Transit Police and the Office of Bus Planning have undertaken an initiative to encourage youth for more positive behavior.  I would love to see them included in the School assembly and other positive youth outreach planning as well.

[...]

        carolcarterwalker@...
        (202) 636-8138 (H/O)
        (202) 744-3872 (C)
      • jminnicks1 .
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013
          Thank you for taking such proactive steps, Commander Solberg!  I look forward to hearing about the date for the meeting, and to building good relationships with Ms. Speight, Ms. Kitt, and the students they serve.

          Jamila
          Lawrence St NE

          --
          Jamila

          "Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken." -- Oscar Wilde
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013

            Thank you, and good point.  I will make sure Metro Transit is included.

            Andy Solberg