students hanging out

  • Kee
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2013
      We've complained before, but this is really getting ridiculous. This morning there were more than a dozen young people in front of my house in the 1000 block of Newton NE. They were smoking and arguing and making a lot of noise. It got so bad I went outside and yelled at them to stop it and go to school. Yesterday afternoon the noise was so loud that we called police. I know other neighbors have complained also.

      This happens every school day -- in the morning and again in the afternoon. They are students at Luke C. Moore Academy around the corner, and they congregate in nearby blocks before and after classes. They sit on our retaining wall and on our steps and stand in the driveway (is that trespassing?). They block the sidewalk so people heading to the Metro have to walk around them or cross the street.

      In the last few weeks, there's also been some vandalism -- large chips knocked off the bricks in our retaining wall. I have not seen who did this, so I don't know if it's the same people.

      We frequently see a DC police car parked in front of the school. Perhaps that person could cruise the adjacent blocks and encourage the students to go to school or go home. The timing is completely predictable -- every school day between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. and again from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

      After the kids left the block today, I did see a patrol car parked at 10th Street. So maybe someone else called 911.

      Thank you.
      Kee
      Newton St NE
    • brian.ions
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2013

        Kee, thanks.

        I called 911, too this morning-- probably the third time in a few weeks for these morning and afternoon rowdies and druggies. Prompt response or not, this is becoming REACTIVE policing at its worst. And it is obviously ineffective as well. There is no sustained deterrence for these nuisance behaviors.

        This has become an unresolved daily nuisance Brooklanders and Metro pedestrians never had to put up with. For many, many years we had a good working relationship with school administrators and the MPD officers assigned to LCM-- likewise, with our proactive MPD PSA officers.

        As per the DCPS website for LCM this is a school "...for disengaged youth ages 17–20 who have dropped out of high school, those who may have adjudication issues, or have had difficulties in traditional school settings."

        From its founding in the 1970s, this special student population -- and their non-student "friends" from all over the city-- also required special policing by MPD and disciplinary action by school administrators to end such nuisances. Neighbors have known that through cooperative interaction with MPD and past LCM admins, as well as simple observation-- for decades.

        Commander Solberg, what is MPD-5D/504 doing specifically to get us back to that neighborhood/ MPD/ school administrators partnership that worked so well in the past for all concerned?

        brian/
        psa 504

        P.S. - Here's the school's contact information, FYI...

        Luke C. Moore High School
        1001 Monroe St. NE
        Washington, DC 20017
        Phone: (202) 281-3600