BEB Public Safety Coalition meeting update

  • Debbie Steiner
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2013
       Good day,

      Reporting out on the Wednesday Public Safety Coalition meeting.

      Councilmember McDuffie's Chief of Staff, Jeannette Mobley was in attendance.  Her accolades to our Commander Solberg for his timely response to her requests was noted.  Ms. Mobley informed the group of 20 how CM was in support of the Coalition's efforts on reducing crime in Ward 5.

      Agencies who were in attendance: Commander Solberg and officers; DPW; DC Housing Authority; Councilmember Tommy Wells' legislative team; DC Attorney General Office; WMATA; private development security detail;  developers.

      Updates from CUA; although absent from this meeting, their updated relevant and noted input is as follows:  Provided information on off campus housing which was submitted to DCRA for investigation; ongoing updates to campus regulations for all students.

      Round table discussions: planning an increase on CCTV locations; improve lighting/voltage where needed; combine on the ground security resources; back up MPD when needed; open communication; create legislation to support stabilizing neighborhood efforts; Committee on Judiciary will reach out to MPD Homeland Security, Federal Homeland Security and, HEMS for discussions on creating neighborhood safety processes.

      Commander Solberg, Andrew Fois and WMATA provided clear information on the directions needed to ensure neighborhood safety.  WMATA installed manual lighting near the bicycle racks.  Andy Solberg wants this following message to take a rippling affect in the Ward, with citizen helping strongly to convey - " be aware of your personal surroundings at all times".  It is not a best practice to walk around with ear buds in both of your ears when walking on the street; protect your electronics by not having them out in the open while walking.  Sqt Queens' remarks - " Please stop leaving personal items in open view of your car".  "DON"T place packages in the trunk of your car in the shopping mall, walking away to shop some more".  This is the holiday season, thefts are slightly up because of the iPhone, iPad, iPod, and any other I theft.  Please be cautious.

      CM Wells' office reported on the legislation written by that office regarding personal theft and its effective use through Prosecution.

      DC Housing Authority has started educating recipients who participate in their housing program on the 'how to' - be a good neighbor; maintain a clean housing environment; respect the property of which you live in.  DC Housing is also dedicated on removing violators of their policies from their 'privileged' program.

      See you in January!  Happy Happy

      "It's better to make a deal with a smart enemy than to be loved and embraced by a dumb friend."
                   Kirkland James Reed

    • brian
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2013

        Andy Solberg wants this following message to take a rippling affect in the Ward, with citizen helping strongly to convey - " be aware of your personal surroundings at all times".  It is not a best practice to walk around with ear buds in both of your ears when walking on the street; protect your electronics by not having them out in the open while walking.

        Thanks for this meeting update, Commissioner Steiner.

        I just want to amplify a bit on Andy Solberg's excellent crime-prevention advice, especially for area pedestrians.

        Be aware at all times of your surroundings-- but also APPEAR to would-be perpetrators to be a situationally-aware person.

        It is important NOT to look like a "good victim" in the eyes of perpetrators. Criminals don't want to get caught, so they seek out the behaviors of low-risk victims/ marks. If you appear like a poor risk potential victim, would-be perpetrators are likely to look to someone else to victimize -- or even to some other area/ neighborhood.

        Trust your instincts, too, especially if you sense you're being followed for nefarious purposes. Don't hesitate to stop and glance behind you-- as if you may have dropped something. Don't just look 20 feet behind you. Notice who is 100 or 200 feet behind you, as well.

        Interrupt YOUR pattern of behavior. Cross the street suddenly. Then cross back a half a block later. Again, seemingly erratic behavior by you is not likely to make a perpetrator feel comfortable about mugging you.

        Walk with the crowd. Buddy-up, if possible. Walk with a friend, neighbor or roommate. This is an especially good habit for our area's newest residents like off-campus student residents of Howard, Trinity, Catholic and Gallaudet.

        Find more crime-prevention tips here...

        http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos-01.htm

        http://www.crimedoctor.com/apartment-security.htm

        Again, thanks to Commander Solberg and Commissoner Steiner for their ongoing area crime prevention and education efforts.

        brian/
        brookland/
        psa 504

        On Friday, November 22, 2013 7:07 AM, Debbie Steiner <DLSmith112@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Beach, Mark (MPD)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2013

          Thanks Brian for the reminders to our readers on this ListServ.

          Frighteningly reminiscent of the string of Robberies committed just for a pair of Air Jordan sneakers and The North Face coats, we are seeing a real pattern in the number of thefts, assaults and robberies involving your electronic devices, most notably your Smart devices.  The device of choice is now your Apple iPhone and iPad as well as E-Readers.

          As a society we appear to have the need to stay connected and that mentality is making you vulnerable to those that want these devices and oft times all your possessions.  We compare walking around with your iPhone or iPad visible in public the same as holding hundreds of dollars in your hand.

          Thefts and Robberies are not always with your compliance.  We don't see gentlemen bandits.  Violent thieves and robbers are targeting you, the mobile device user, and we are witnessing victims with life threatening injuries, broken bones and jaws, dislocated arms and shoulders, broken or torn fingers and in some cases across the country, death.

          This made-for-headlines trend is being called ‘apple picking‘, as robbers appear to be favoring iPhones and iPads for their brand recognition and higher street value. Though plenty of Android devices are being stolen, especially newer units like the Google Nexus tablet and the Samsung Galaxy.

          I have listed a few of the following ways to reduce your victimization over this upcoming Holiday Season.  While these tips are good all year long, we are spending and traveling at a greater rate now through New Years day.  With your safety in mind, please review and share the following safety and awareness tips with your family, friends, relatives and associates.

          Be aware of your surroundings.

          The beauty of mobile devices is their ability to whisk you away mentally from your immediate environs through music, video, the Web. Problem is, that also happens to make you a perfect target for a thief or robber.

          When out in public, put your device in your bag or inside a coat pocket. By being aware – and showing others that you are aware – this action alone could make the difference.

          Designer products and “Bling” increases your victim profile.

          Designer purses, messenger type bags and expensive executive briefcases raise your profile and put you at risk.  Add to the crime equation your lack of focus while texting, searching for tunes and playing electronic games, raises the odds of being victimized.  As my Risk Management mentor, Gordan Graham, reminds me of the adage “if it’s predictable, it’s preventable” certainly applies well here.

          Traveling on mass transit for the holidays?  One piece of travel advice is to not buy designer or fancy matching designer luggage. We have found that this sort of luggage is much more likely to be stolen.

          You also want to be inconspicuous with your mobile devices. Those white ear buds Apple included with your iPhone? Total mugger bait. Put them away in favor of some generic ear buds or better yet, foam headphones.

          Record your devices make, model and serial numbers and purchase insurance.

          Do not store these serial numbers in your mobile devices for obvious reasons.  In an urban environment or if you travel a lot for work or pleasure, consider getting specialized device insurance.  Insurance companies offer them and protection and policies can be purchased through your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance and their “personal articles policy” option. The costs are reasonable and provide piece of mind.

          Install Recovery Apps on your devices.

          All of these apps let you track a lost or stolen device. Apple’s Find My iPhone is the standard for iOS. There are plenty of other options: Lookout Mobile and Where’s My Droid for Android, Find My Phone for Windows Phone 7, Prey and AirCover for multiple platforms.

          These Apps have limitations: your device must be on, can’t be wiped or reformatted or had its SIM card taken out. Experienced thieves know this. If not, your battery will run out, too. Please keep in mind that time is of the essence in reporting to losses to law enforcement.

          Always back up your device.

          Monetary value is one thing, but what about all of those great photos of your friends and family that you took? The notes you took detailing that great business idea? All of your Contacts? Those can’t be replaced.

          With iCloud, it’s easy to make sure your iPhone or iPad data is backed up to within the last 24 hours (you can also manually back up data whenever you have a Wi-Fi connection).

          Choose life over your device.

          Replacing an on-contract smartphone is about $200. The most expensive tablet costs less than $1,000 to replace. Your life is worth more than either of those amounts.

          Teach and remind your kids and loved ones of these tips.

          Besides installing device recovery apps and getting insurance, make sure you have "the talk" with them about being aware in public, reducing their crime profile and role playing scenarios where they may have to surrender their devices to an armed individual.

          Shrink the Black Market.

          We all like a bargain and we all hate to pay retail prices.  Buying used is good for the environment and our shrinking budgets.  However, do not fall victim to the deal that’s too good to be true, one time only deal, the deal that is only available for the next hour or by buying something that “fell off the back of a truck.”

          Next time you are browsing ads for Samsung Galaxy Tablets on Craigslist, take care to avoid ads where the tablets are suspiciously cheap, or there’s some excuse why they are missing the cable and power supply, receipt, manual, box, etc. If you do contact them, say you need all of that stuff for warranty reasons or that you’re “a paperwork freak”.

          If their excuses for not supplying you this stuff sound odd or do not pass the smell test, don’t just stop dealing with them; notify local law enforcement immediately and file a complaint with Craigslist.

          Mark Beach
          Assistant Patrol District Commander
          Metropolitan DC Police Department
          Fifth Police District
          1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
          Washington, DC 20002
          202-345-1313 BeachBerry
          202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
          202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
          202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
          202-727-9099 Command Information Center
          "Commitment to Excellence"

          Each

          One Give One!
          Help the DC ONE FUND reach our One City DC One Fund goal of $1 million dollars to provide much needed support to so many in our region.  Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2013

            Mark, you know I thought the Chief's initiative (last year or earlier this year??) on rendering smart phones, pads mobile devices useless after theft had been well-received by the tech industry-- and that PDs were well on the way to eliminating them as a high-motivator for robberies.

            But just recently I read a blurb -- some online news somewhere -- that Apple, Samsung, Google-- some big names anyway-- were dragging their heels on technology to provide "brick" capability if mobiles are stolen. It was suggested high profits from stolen mobile device replacements was a likely reason for all the foot-dragging, tho they blamed fear of "hackers" accessing devices like the President's. Uh huh.

            What's the status / or real backstory skinny on all that?

            brian

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2013
              Brian, while Chief Lanier's initiative has been both cutting edge and has resulted in significant reductions in the number of thefts and robberies of mobile devices, one victim to me/us is still one too many.  These devices are the new "currency" of choice in report after report.