[Brookland] DC GOVT/DDOT: Traffic, Noise and Speeding

  • Brooklander13
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013
      Neighbors,

      In the 2 years since Ive been away from my house whiles it was under repair for fire damage, the increase in traffic on 13th St and Franklin has skyrocketed. Its like living on the side of a highway. Traffic is backed up on Franklin like a parking lot. The trucks that now seem to be more regular range from giant commercial dump trucks to 18 wheeler rigs and its constant as if this is 495 or NY Avenue. Just 2 weeks ago a tractor trailer tried to turn the corner onto Franklin and knocked out a pole and a light. This happens with too much regularity.

      Is anyone experiencing an increase in an unacceptable level of trucks, noise and speeding in other parts of Brookland? My guess is yes.

      We need to petition DC Govt (again) to get the trucks out of here. With all the new construction, Im sure no Developers or DDOT took into consideration or even cared about the increase of traffic to our lovely community. Brookland is a neighborhood not an industrial part of town. Kids walk to school down Franklin and 13th St and its even terrifying for adults to cross that street. If you are standing on either road, you can't even hear another person talking. Its unacceptable.

      I asked for a traffic study years ago and also started a petition for rerouting of trucks and to reduce speed some how. It went no where.

      Currently there is a homeowners on Franklin who has started a petition to get the trucks rerouted back onto RI Ave where they should be and to have a sign put back up that says NO THRU TRUCKS with a WEIGHT LIMIT on the corner of Franklin and RI heading South along with one on Franklin and 7th (before you get to the school). There also needs to be one on 13th Street at RI Ave all the way through to Michigan as well to keep trucks from cutting through. There are more then enough commercial routes for trucks to use.

      Additionally, either speed cameras or some other solution needs to go up as well because the amount of fatal accidents on this corner and 12th and Franklin needs to be addressed. Im no longer interested in finding parts of cars in my yard from collisions or waking up at 3am to call 911 due to collision from people trying to run the yellow light.

      I know that Debbie Steiner is in contact with DDOT but I would like DC Govt and DDOT to respond to this email and the Brookland Community and give a specific ETA on when we can expect the signs to go up to reroute trucks. This has been going on since 2004 and enough time has gone by to do traffic studies and take action.

      Please advise as to when someone will step forward from DDOT and DC GOVT with a real solution and acceptable timeline to fix this situation that members of this community have been requesting for over 9 years.

      In the time it took for me to draft this email, 19 tractor trailers have gone by and 4 cars have tried to run the light on 13th Street.

      Elise
      13th St
    • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013

        Good morning Elise, so the back up of traffic is this during the morning rush hours, we will have PSA 504 officers give this special attention and give relief until we have long term solutions in place.

        Lt. Hughes – Fifth District

        What would you like to see in the renovated Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library?

        Share your thoughts on the library's spaces and services at DC Public Library’s online idea community at dclibrary.ideascale.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013
          Its not the communities fault problem and needs to be fixed by DC Govt. Whoever planned it (poorly) needs to fix it. Trucks deciding its ok to go down a residential street because they don't like the traffic on RI is unacceptable.  Im sure if anyone had this happen to them where they live it would be an issue for them as well.

          EMS and Fire need access to the hospital and we all know that, but all the other heavy trucks need to braze RI Ave just like the rest of us. And again, as I reply to this email there is an 18 wheeler trying to turn the corner from 13th to Franklin.

          Elise

          On Nov 7, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Guy Brandenburg <gfbrandenburg@...> wrote:

          I suspect the increased traffic on Franklin is caused by drivers seeking ways around the intolerable increased congestion on RIA and the blockade where Monroe used to meet Michigan.
          Traffic in & around Brookland is indeed becoming a nightmare.

          Guy Brandenburg
          Sent from my iPhone so full of hilarious errors... ;-€}}

          On Nov 7, 2013, at 9:56 AM, jon townson <actor1is@...> wrote:

          i'd be happy to sign a petition for reducing the large commmercial trucks that are becoming more prevalent, especially at 12th & franklin.  or, better yet, put 2 officers at the intersection.  1 to spot the violators, another to write citations.  tickets for days!  i think the city coffers would be replenished VERY quickly.

          oh, & if you're ever stuck at the light at franklin & 8th, sitting on the bridge, the ENTIRE thing shakes when these larger vehicles go over it.  it'd help traffic at that intersection as well to make a dedicated left turn lane ONLY & keep the right lane for through traffic (the westbound lanes).  as it is, everything bottlenecks because drivers wait behind left-turning vehicles (who have a dedicated arrow on the light), then have to swerve around the parked cars on franklin past the light.

          but that's just my opinion.

          jon
          10th st.

          To: brooklander13@...
          CC: monica.hernandez@...; brookland@yahoogroups.com; jenesej@...; mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com; marchim.williams@...; dlsmith112@...; 5a07@...; ward5coe@...; kevin.twine@...; ddot@...; jmandel@...; brentwooddc@yahoogroups.com; woodridgesouth@yahoogroups.com; ward5@yahoogroups.com
          From: max.bentovim@...
          Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:40:10 -0800

          As a resident near the corner of 12th and Franklin, I have also witnessed a lot of irresponsible driving and large vehicles. Given especially how many children and dog owners live near these streets it would be a very appropriate place for traffic calming measures and vehicle weight restrictions.

          Sent from Mailbox for iPad

          On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Brooklander13 <brooklander13@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Bernat, Edward (MPD)
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2013

            Elise on 13th,

            Thank you for expressing your concerns.  I have sent a message to the members in PSA 504 to increase and give special attention to these issues that you brought up.  I have also included the Director of DDOT, Terry Belamy, in this reply so he can have his agency explore and implement any traffic calming remedies that would be beneficial to the community.

            Thank you,

            Edward R. Bernat

            Lieutenant

            Fifth District

            1805 Bladensburg Road, N.E.

            Washington, D.C. 20002

            Office - 202-698-0268

            Cell- 202-359-4240

            Email: edward.bernat@...

            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this e-mail is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This e-mail should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2013
              Good day Terry,

              The need for DDOT to ensure that construction trucks are not using Franklin Street is the main topic of this email thread.

              This past March, I spoke with Aaron Rhone about the need for a traffic study from: Michigan Avenue NE to South Dakota Avenue on Franklin; in September I was notified by Cheeks how he was working on the traffic study, however, he stated: since it was 23 intersections it will be awhile.

              Further, this past May, I met with Sam, from DDOT's planning division - starting the process of conducting a comprehensive traffic study, identifying the mass area of concern since one was never performed and was need.  However, Sam indicated how DDOT needs to wait on more data before moving forward; since Monroe Street Market Residential and Retail space, first phase was incomplete.  Thus, having the study to start in 2014, early spring. This study incorporates Franklin Street NE

              Franklin Street- although signs prohibiting trucks, 1.5 ton, with low vid ability signage sporadicly  peppered on Franklin Street -construction, flat bed and concrete truck drivers, naming a few, are ignoring the posting.

              Urgent Enforcement is needed:  Whereby, identifying the destination of each truck violator; issuing warning tickets to the first time offenders, while redirecting them to use the correct route; contact the developer of the drivers site destination location mandating they hold the GC in compliance of traffic route laws or shutdown the project; monitor compliance; and start immediate action to eradicate the misuse of side streets by these construction companies.

              What are you willing to do to enforce roadway compliance use? As I am placed in a piece milling process addressing the traffic concerns on Franklin Street; and have tried to emphasize to your staff the on urgent need to mitigate these and other traffic  concerns around this nightmare?

              Respectfully,

              Commissioner Steiner

              What a curious phenomenon it is that you can get men to die for the liberty of the world who will not make the little sacrifice that is needed to free themselves from their own individual bondage.

              Bruce Barton

              On Nov 8, 2013, at 8:22 AM, "Bellamy, Terry (DDOT)" <terry.bellamy@...> wrote:

              I have included Eulois Cleckley to the email to investigate this truck situation.  It also helpful to understand more about the situation and  our team will reach to gather more details.

              Director│Desk (202) 671-4097│Terry.Bellamy@...www.ddot.dc.gov

              STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY- The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to it are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.