Community Alert

  • khenderson029
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2013
      Our community continues to be hit hard with burglaries and thefts from autos; these crimes are likely to increase the closer we get to the holiday season. A neighbor in the 900 block of 19th Street NE reported being awakened at 9:54 pm. on Sunday by someone staring into his window. The suspect is described as a twenty-something African American male with a medium build and long dreadlocks.

      Police presence in our area is substantial; however, we need to take every precaution to secure our homes and vehicles to prevent theft. Do not leave windows up and unlocked even if you have bars. In one burglary the thief used a shovel to lift a computer from a table and steal it via a raised rear window with bars. Keep an eye on your street; call the police if you see anyone stare into your window or your neighbor's window. Burglars are positioned to steal your property. We must be vigilant and call the police whenever we see or hear anything suspicious.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
    • Kathy Henderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2014

        ADVISORY NEIGHBORHOOD COMMISSION 5D03/5D05 and the FIFTH DISTRICT POLICE HEADQUARTERS

        COMMUNITY UPDATE

        Dear Neighbors:

        Despite all of the public safety gains we have made over the last few years regarding violent crimes, we had a shooting on June 29, 2014, on 19th and H Street NE.  Someone in this community has information that will get the shooter off of our streets. If you heard or saw anything please let us know.  Call (202) 727-9099 with any tips that will help close this case. If we stick together we can have a very safe community 365 days a year. We have a new 5D Commander, Dierdre Porter; she and her team are working hard to step up policing in our community. They cannot do it alone and need your help. If you saw or know anything to help close this case speak up.  The shooter may live in this community and the sooner we get this person off of the streets the safer we are. When a shooter roams free EVERYONE IS AT RISK.

        Commissioner Kathy Henderson 5D05: (202) 386-8325/ Chairperson, ANC 5D

        Kathy Henderson
        khenderson029@...
      • Kathy Henderson

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 14 6:10 PM
            Please be advised that I met with Department of Public Works (DPW) representatives in response to all of the trash, including illegal dumping in our community. As you aware, trash is the universal calling card for crime. As a result DPW began cleaning our area today, starting with the alleys. The effort will include removing all bulk trash and cleaning our streets.

            Afterwards, I urge you to be vigilant about what happens in front of and in the rear of your property. Homeowners are responsible for trash in front of their property up to 18 inches beyond the curb and in the rear of your property. If you allow trash to remain in front of and the rear of your home you will be fined. If you allow your trash can to remain in the alley after Tuesday you will be fined. If someone illegally dumps behind your property protect yourself by calling (202) 727-1000 and obtain a confirmation number. If someone defaces your property with graffiti call (202) 727-1000 to have it removed. If you are a senior and need help with your trash call me at (202) 386-8325. If you live in an apartment building that is fined for illegal dumping the cost could be passed on to you with higher rent. Trash is everyone's problem!

            People are dumping in our alleys and trying to break into our homes because they believe we don't care and are thus easy targets. Let's prove them wrong! We have the power; let's use it!

            Finally, if you see a vehicle or person illegally dumping, get a tag number, photo or description; you could receive an award.

            Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
            Chairperson, ANC 5D

            Sent from my iPhone