Police Activity on 7th Street NE - Wednesday, October 9, 2013

  • Stephanie A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2013
      Again, I am writing to as about police activity on 7th Street NE.  Tonight as I was driving home from Bible Study there were 5-7 MPD Squad cars on 7th Street NE between Franklin and Girard.

      Can you shed some light on what happened?

      Also, again I am asking for a camera in that general 7th Street NE corridor.  Also, right at the corner of 7th and Franklin where the liquor store is, is very dark and additional lighting would be helpful.

      I inquired and requested that MPD-5 consider installing an MPD camera for that area a few months ago, and I believe Officer Beach mentioned that he would check on the status of the request.

      Also, as a reminder, the speed camera was not replaced at the corner of 7th and Franklin, as we were told that it would be a few months back.

      With so much construction, new residences and potential businesses coming to the area from Monroe Street back to Franklin, I believe we could use more beefed up police presence in the area along with MPD surveillance via camera or whatever other means necessary to help curtain the bad element in this community.

      Some of the residents in our neighborhoods are trying to build community, rather than tear it down, and we need the help of the District of Columbia and the Metropolitan Police Department to aggressively help with that.

      Also, just today the Brookland Metro Station was named as a very high crime station.  Lots of robberies occur there, also there are a lot of new residents and homeowners walking from the station along 7th Street from work and school trying to get home safely.

      Request more assistance from the District government and MPD-5 to help curtail and element the constant criminal activity along the 7th Street corridor.

      Thank you for your attention in this matter.

      Stephanie
      Chancellor's Row Resident

      ___________________________

      Stephanie "The One"

      "You Become Like the 5 People You Spend the Most Time With. Choose Carefully!" - Unknown

    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2013
        Stephanie, I will address your questions and concerns here one at a time.

        Q: Again, I am writing to as about police activity on 7th Street NE.  I was driving home from Bible Study there were 5-7 MPD Squad cars on 7th Street NE between Franklin and Girard.  Can you shed some light on what happened?
        A: We have noticeably stepped up our visibility and enforcement efforts in this area based directly upon requests from our community. We have made a number of arrests, stops and contacts.  We have reduced the sounds of gunshots, drug sales, theft from auto's and crew activity.

        Q: I am again asking for a camera in that general 7th Street NE corridor.  Also, right at the corner of 7th and Franklin where the liquor store is, is very dark and additional lighting would be helpful.

        I inquired and requested that MPD-5 consider installing an MPD camera for that area a few months ago, and I believe Officer Beach mentioned that he would check on the status of the request.

        A: Cameras for deployment in new areas such as this will not be available until the summer of 2014.

        Q: The speed camera was not replaced at the corner of 7th and Franklin, as we were told that it would be a few months back.
        A: The fixed position speed camera will not be replaced but augmented with mobile enforcement and traffic enforcement.  Those efforts are currently underway.  We are in place most days in the mornings and afternoons in the 700 block of Edgewood enforcing the NO LEFT TURN Signage during the before and after school drop off and pick up crunch times of 07:30-0930 AM and 2:30-5:00 PM in the evenings, Monday thru Friday.

        Q: With so much construction, new residences and potential businesses coming to the area from Monroe Street back to Franklin, I believe we could use more beefed up police presence in the area along with MPD surveillance via camera or whatever other means necessary to help curtain the bad element in this community.

        Some of the residents in our neighborhoods are trying to build community, rather than tear it down, and we need the help of the District of Columbia and the Metropolitan Police Department to aggressively help with that.

        A;  We are a devoted partner with you and ask that you continue to assist and support us with your observations, suggestions, feelings, perceptions and opinions.

        Q: Just today the Brookland Metro Station was named as a very high crime station.  Lots of robberies occur there, also there are a lot of new residents and homeowners walking from the station along 7th Street from work and school trying to get home safely.   We are requesting more assistance from the District government and MPD-5 to help curtail and element the constant criminal activity along the 7th Street corridor.

        A: You forgot to mention assistance from METRO and the Metro Transit Police Department.  We worked closely with Chief Ronald Pavlik and the dedicated men and women of the Metro Transit Police Department in addressing crime and the fear of crime to all of you that utilize and rely on Mass Transit to commute.  We have successfully closed a number of criminal offenses to include Robbery, Thefts, Thefts from Auto's and assaults.  We share information and intelligence daily and use each agency as a force multiplier in creating increased police visibility, safety and investigative support.

        We sincerely hope that these responses satisfy your need for information and deployment of our resources in our community Stephanie...

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.  More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.  Check out the library's new hours at dclibrary.org/newhours.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2013
          Thank you for responding Officer Beach.

          I noticed that my request for information on the police activity last night was not contained in your response.  So, again, can you shed light on what happened last night on 7th Street?  Can you share that information or is it an ongoing matter that cannot be disclosed at this time?  As a resident and homeowner, as always I am concerned and information can help to try and quell some of my as well as my neighbors' major concerns in the 7th Street area.

          Your response that "cameras for deployment in new areas such as this will not be available until the summer of 2014".  I understand things take time, however that is not quite the response that "concerned" residents and homeowners in the community would like to hear, especially with the ongoing criminal element in our growing neighborhood.  Can the District of Columbia and the Metropolitan Police Department be more responsive to our overwhelming and dire concerns?

          On the issue of not replacing the speed camera, and augmenting with mobile and traffic enforcement, can those resources be redirected to a crime camera for the area, which I believe is more needed than a traffic camera, unless the camera does both, and I don't think so.  Maybe it's just me, however, I believe that the MPD-5 officers could be better utilized in helping STOP and DETER THE CRIME in the area rather than speed and traffic enforcement.  I believe residents are more concerned with the crime than the traffic.  Unless of course it's the "drug traffic".

          As alway, and respectfully, I understand and express my gratitude for MPD-5's outreach and partnership with our community, and I would appreciate even more if not only MPD-5 could work to reduce the sounds of gunshots, drug sales, theft and crew activities-- but to ELIMINATE those undesirables from our neighborhoods.   So, again I thank you and MPD-5 for your hard work  and dedication of working day-to-day to keep our communities safe from crime.

          Also, I appreciate the work you do with the WMATA Police force in addressing crime and the fear of crime at the Brookland Metro Station.  And, we appreciate your "Force Multiplying" efforts and we truly would appreciate even more PRESENCE on the part of the Metro Police and MPD-5 in and around the streets to the station to continue to ensure safety of the our residents.

          Note: It is no coincidence that Brookland and Rhode Island Metro stations are on the Top 5 High Crime Metro Stations-- with new apartment buildings and homes located right at those locations.

          I totally agree that it is through partnerships among MPD-5, residents, homeowners, DC elected officials and other community stakeholders that we can achieve ELIMINATING CRIME in our neighborhoods.

          Officer Beach, again, thank you for responding, thank you and your fellow MPD-5 officers for the good work that you do to try and keep our streets safe.  I respect the tough job that you all have.

          And, in closing I hope you appreciate my questions and concerns for the goal of living in a safer, healthier and less fearful neighborhood.

          Again, thank you Officer Beach, and I hope to see even more MPD-5 presence, less bad element hanging on the street, and a crime camera on our neighborhood streets.  That continues to be my vision and home for an area that I call home, and I believe I and my neighbors deserve that.

          Stephanie

          To: mssteph6721@...; mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com; andrew.solberg@...; morgan.kane@...; kmcduffie@...; dlsmith112@...; Ronald.WrightJr@...; wayne.steinhilber@...; marquis.queen@...; andre.wright@...