Vandalism Alert

  • khenderson029
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
      Good Morning:

      We greatly appreciate the excellent deployment at night in our area. Focusing resources on the troublesome 19th and Benning Rd, Bennett Place, H and I Street areas is making a positive difference. Keep up the great work.

      Unfortunately, daytime brings additional crime challenges. Burglaries are a problem and vandals have broken the glass in the 19th and Maryland Ave. bus shelter at least four times. It is being repaired now and we do not want it broken again. The culprit(s) is likely a juvenile or young adult. We would greatly appreciate extra police patrols to catch the vandal(s). We are working on offering a reward for information that leads to identification of the perpetrator(s). Thank you for top notch policing.

      Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013

        Thank you Commissioner Henderson.  We appreciate your support and are glad to hear that our efforts in 507 are noticed and having an impact.

        With the success of our Summer Crime Initiative that ran from the beginning of June through the end of August 2013, a part of which was focused on PSA 507, Captains Mark Beach, Andre Wright, and Morgan Kane asked me to extend the initiative into a fall campaign, which we have implemented.

        We will continue our successful crime-fighting strategies in this area, and in three other specifically targeted location in the Fifth District, through the fall, and we expect this program will have an impact on crime and safety in the community.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D

        New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.  More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.  Check out the library's new hours at dclibrary.org/newhours.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
          Thank you Commander Solberg. Extending the Summer Crime Initiative resources was an excellent idea that we fully embrace. Further, crime reductions  in Trinidad and other Ward 5 areas benefit our community. Typically,whenever, you take a bite out of crime in Eckington or elsewhere in the ward, you are removing individuals that are also causing problems for us and vice versa. The  enhanced public safety we want for ourselves we also wish for our neighbors. Thank you for staying the course.

          Kathy Henderson, 5D05
          khenderson029@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
            Thank you Commissioner.