RE: [MPD-5D] PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT Sighting/Safety Tips (Wild Animals)

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013

      There are unconfirmed reports that a mountain lion was spotted twice within the past two months in the area near Bladensburg Road and Banneker Drive.

      Andy Solberg

      Commander, 5D

      New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.  More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.  Check out the library's new hours at dclibrary.org/newhours.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
        This news is both exciting and cause for concern. Increasingly, the habitat for wild animals is reduced due to development for our needs. The Costco and Ryan homes projects consumed a considerable portion of habitat. It makes sense that a mountain lion would be seen in the Fort  Lincoln community because of the large deer population there, underscoring a considerable food source. I am intrigued by the numerous raccoons, foxes and  opossums that scamper up and down our streets after sundown; however  mountain lions are dangerous. If they are indeed in the area ( I believe they are) they are likely in the Arboretum and Fort Lincoln.

        Does the Fifth District and Animal Control have a public safety plan to address this issue? What is the plan if someone shoots at a mountain lion as a result of a confirmed sighting? I recommend that 5D, Animal Control, DOH and DPW collaborate to create  a public service announcement to educate the public. It is imperative that citizens move quickly to properly containerize all trash as well as safeguarding small pets.

        Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
        Kathy Henderson
        khenderson029@...