PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT Sighting/Safety Tips (Wild Animals)

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013

    Good Morning 5D Community,

    See below for important information, Please Share with your Neighbors, Family, and Friends

    Animal control has been notified and confirmed that Mountain Lion sightings have occurred during the past 3 weeks in dc....

    Sighting/Safety Tips (Wild Animals)

    Citizens should call 911 for any sightings. DO NOT approach

    Keep your pets in at night

    Kept garbage in containers

    We also have a large number of Deer in our communities, please read and share the newsletter attached

    5D Outreach

  • Skiingbabyb
    Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
      Good afternoon,

      What area of the city were the mountain lions spotted?

      On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:53 AM, <Fayette.Vaughn-Lee@...> wrote:

      Good Morning 5D Community,

      See below for important information, Please Share with your Neighbors, Family, and Friends

      Animal control has been notified and confirmed that Mountain Lion sightings have occurred during the past 3 weeks in dc....

      Sighting/Safety Tips (Wild Animals)

      Citizens should call 911 for any sightings. DO NOT approach

      Keep your pets in at night

      Kept garbage in containers

      We also have a large number of Deer in our communities, please read and share the newsletter attached

      5D Outreach

      <Deer Alert_Citizen News Letter_Penn Branch10-1-13.rtf>
      Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013

        There are unconfirmed reports that a mountain lion was spotted twice within the past two months in the area near Bladensburg Road and Banneker Drive.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D

        New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.  More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.  Check out the library's new hours at dclibrary.org/newhours.

        Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
          This news is both exciting and cause for concern. Increasingly, the habitat for wild animals is reduced due to development for our needs. The Costco and Ryan homes projects consumed a considerable portion of habitat. It makes sense that a mountain lion would be seen in the Fort  Lincoln community because of the large deer population there, underscoring a considerable food source. I am intrigued by the numerous raccoons, foxes and  opossums that scamper up and down our streets after sundown; however  mountain lions are dangerous. If they are indeed in the area ( I believe they are) they are likely in the Arboretum and Fort Lincoln.

          Does the Fifth District and Animal Control have a public safety plan to address this issue? What is the plan if someone shoots at a mountain lion as a result of a confirmed sighting? I recommend that 5D, Animal Control, DOH and DPW collaborate to create  a public service announcement to educate the public. It is imperative that citizens move quickly to properly containerize all trash as well as safeguarding small pets.

          Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
          Kathy Henderson
          khenderson029@...