ANC 5D03, 5D04 and 5D05 Public Safety Concern

  • Kathy Henderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2013
      Good Afternoon:

      Please be advised that we are still receiving complaints regarding Capital Meats aggressively hawking their meat products in our community. Residents here have told us time and time again they do not want these unlicensed meat peddlers from Virginia knocking on their doors and pestering them to buy whatever they are selling. One of my neighbors was very concerned because the unlicensed seller "simply would not take no for an answer even when I told him no thank you..." This neighbor is home alone with a toddler and felt "very unsafe". These individuals have been known to peer into windows to see if anyone is home. We are being subjected to a rash of break-ins and burglaries and these individuals could be culpable.

      Again, we do not want them here, they are unlicensed in Virginia where they are from and they do not have a DC license. We want peace, order and quiet and prefer to purchase our products from reputable retailers, not unlicensed meat peddlers. We respectfully request our law enforcement partners to move them on when they see them anywhere in Carver or Langston Terrace and issue a citation for vending without a license. Thank you.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      khenderson029@...
    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
        Caveat Emptor "Let the Buyer Beware"

        Capital Meats Inc. is based out of Winchester, Va. The District’s Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA), last reported that its salesmen aren’t properly licensed to do business here in the District of Columbia.  To operate legally, the corporation would need to register with the city, and the salesmen would need licenses. There’s no record of Capital Meats.

        Capital Meats relies on subcontractors to sell its products and subcontractors operating in eight states—Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky—but currently does most of its best business in the Baltimore and Washington Metropolitan Areas.

        Corporate Headquarters:

        TEL: 866-247-0020

        Mailing Address:

        Capital Meats, Inc.
        P.O. Box 1210
        Stephens City, VA 22655

        Should you see or be approached by unwelcomed meat vendors, call 9-1-1 and report it to us.  We ask that you also provide the vehicle with tag number, make, model and color being operated and how many sales reps are aboard.  You may also post that information here as well but we prefer that you call 9-1-1 for immediate follow-up.

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.  More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.  Check out the library's new hours at dclibrary.org/newhours.