Re: [MPD-5D] Re: [newhilleast] More "security" checks

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
      The listserv apparently blocked the attachments, so here are links:

      http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92026/032-capture.jpg
      http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92030/003-capture.jpg
      http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92033/034-capture.jpg

      Matt

      On 7/5/07, Matt Ashburn <matt@...> wrote:

      > Attached are some pictures of my visitors from one of my cameras; did
      > anyone else see these folks? After reading that a "salesman" using similar
      > language was suspicious, I thought I'd see if anyone else was visited. Even
      > if legit, they were annoying.
      >
      > Matt
      >

      > On 7/5/07, Matt Ashburn <matt@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I had two white females from "Firstline" security come by my home (and
      > > others' on my street too) in PSA 504 on the 3rd. I happened to come onto
      > > the front porch and saw one of them standing there looking at my house.
      > > Startled, I asked who they were and then asked them to leave my property.
      > > Instead of leaving, one of them started going into a sales pitch. I firmly
      > > reiterated that she should leave NOW, and that I would take action should
      > > they continue to trespass. They left, grumbling as they went down the
      > > street.
      > >
      > > The interesting thing is that the sales pitch included, "I hope your
      > > phone lines don't get cut, because our security system uses cell phone
      > > technology and others don't. A lot of phone lines have been cut in the area
      > > so burglars can break in without the police knowing. With our system... etc
      > > etc"
      > >
      > > Matt
      > >

      > > On 7/5/07, arodeojock@... < arodeojock@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This same gentleman came to my house in 504 as well. He was very
      > > > rude when I asked him to leave. So, he was getting around the city. It was a
      > > > good thing he didn't like my dog!

    • Rynecki
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
        Firstline appears to be a legitimate company
        http://www.getfirstline.com/index.asp

        Why they go door-to-door I have no idea.

      • khenderson029@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
          The same thing happened on L Street, The guy said he was from ADT. I called
          the police because he did not have any identification.

        • brianionk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            Anything can be an opportunity for criminal perps. The confidence level
            is naturally, "high" for security people and systems alike. Everything
            and everyone close to one's home, business and loved ones deserves
            special scrutiny. Here's a cautionary excerpt from an article on home
            security systems...

            A Cat Burglar's Guide to Protecting Your Home
            Walter Shaw
            reprinted from Bottom Line/Personal,
            September 1, 2003

            <URL:%20http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/blpnet/article.html?article_id=\
            33836>

            I have spent most of my career stealing from people just like you. I was
            a member of the "Dinner Set" burglary ring for a dozen years. We stole
            about $70 million in jewelry -- for which I spent 11 years in prison. No
            one is better qualified to tell you that most people don't do enough to
            protect their homes...

            Mistake #2: Posting detailed alarm signs. Don't display signs that
            identify the alarm company. Burglars can buy information on how the
            systems are wired -- and how to bypass specific versions.

            Better: Buy signs at home-supply stores that read, This house is
            protected by an alarm system. As long as it doesn't give specific
            information, it can be a good deterrent.

            brian kerr
            on Newton / PSA 502

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
              The same two guys allegedly selling ADT systems returned to our neighborhood
              this past Saturday. I called the police again and the officers responded
              quickly to ascertain their real purpose in the neighborhood. I don't think they
              will visit this neighborhood again.