Re: [MPD-5D] Re: [newhilleast] More "security" checks

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 11:36 AM
      Attached are some pictures of my visitors from one of my cameras; did
      anyone else see these folks? After reading that a "salesman" using similar
      language was suspicious, I thought I'd see if anyone else was visited. Even
      if legit, they were annoying.

      Matt

      On 7/5/07, Matt Ashburn <matt@...> wrote:

      > I had two white females from "Firstline" security come by my home (and
      > others' on my street too) in PSA 504 on the 3rd. I happened to come onto
      > the front porch and saw one of them standing there looking at my house.
      > Startled, I asked who they were and then asked them to leave my property.
      > Instead of leaving, one of them started going into a sales pitch. I firmly
      > reiterated that she should leave NOW, and that I would take action should
      > they continue to trespass. They left, grumbling as they went down the
      > street.
      >
      > The interesting thing is that the sales pitch included, "I hope your phone
      > lines don't get cut, because our security system uses cell phone technology
      > and others don't. A lot of phone lines have been cut in the area so
      > burglars can break in without the police knowing. With our system... etc
      > etc"
      >
      > Matt
      >

      > On 7/5/07, arodeojock@... < arodeojock@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This same gentleman came to my house in 504 as well. He was very rude
      > > when I asked him to leave. So, he was getting around the city. It was a good
      > > thing he didn't like my dog!

      > > From: kevin cain <rufus132000@... <rufus132000%40yahoo.com>>
      > > > We had one of them come to our door yesterday (yes, on the 4th of
      > > July) claiming
      > > > to be working for GE and doing checks on whether your security system
      > > was
      > > > wireless or not. He was a young, stocky guy with dark hair and a
      > > small, ID badge
      > > > of some kind clipped on his shirt. I asked him why he was working on a
      > > national
      > > > holiday, which seemed to throw him off a little, then told him that I
      > > would let
      > > > him check our system if I could take a photo of him. He left
      > > immediately, of
      > > > course, but everyone should be aware of these people.

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 7:57 AM
        The listserv apparently blocked the attachments, so here are links:

        http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92026/032-capture.jpg
        http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92030/003-capture.jpg
        http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92033/034-capture.jpg

      • Rynecki
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 8:09 AM
          Firstline appears to be a legitimate company
          http://www.getfirstline.com/index.asp

          Why they go door-to-door I have no idea.

        • khenderson029@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6 8:13 AM
            The same thing happened on L Street, The guy said he was from ADT. I called
            the police because he did not have any identification.

          • brianionk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6 10:17 AM
              Anything can be an opportunity for criminal perps. The confidence level
              is naturally, "high" for security people and systems alike. Everything
              and everyone close to one's home, business and loved ones deserves
              special scrutiny. Here's a cautionary excerpt from an article on home
              security systems...

              A Cat Burglar's Guide to Protecting Your Home
              Walter Shaw
              reprinted from Bottom Line/Personal,
              September 1, 2003

              <URL:%20http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/blpnet/article.html?article_id=\
              33836>

              I have spent most of my career stealing from people just like you. I was
              a member of the "Dinner Set" burglary ring for a dozen years. We stole
              about $70 million in jewelry -- for which I spent 11 years in prison. No
              one is better qualified to tell you that most people don't do enough to
              protect their homes...

              Mistake #2: Posting detailed alarm signs. Don't display signs that
              identify the alarm company. Burglars can buy information on how the
              systems are wired -- and how to bypass specific versions.

              Better: Buy signs at home-supply stores that read, This house is
              protected by an alarm system. As long as it doesn't give specific
              information, it can be a good deterrent.

              brian kerr
              on Newton / PSA 502

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9 7:16 AM
                The same two guys allegedly selling ADT systems returned to our neighborhood
                this past Saturday. I called the police again and the officers responded
                quickly to ascertain their real purpose in the neighborhood. I don't think they
                will visit this neighborhood again.