Re: [MPD-5D] Re: [newhilleast] More "security" checks

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      I had two white females from "Firstline" security come by my home (and
      others' on my street too) in PSA 504 on the 3rd. I happened to come onto
      the front porch and saw one of them standing there looking at my house.
      Startled, I asked who they were and then asked them to leave my property.
      Instead of leaving, one of them started going into a sales pitch. I firmly
      reiterated that she should leave NOW, and that I would take action should
      they continue to trespass. They left, grumbling as they went down the
      street.

      The interesting thing is that the sales pitch included, "I hope your phone
      lines don't get cut, because our security system uses cell phone technology
      and others don't. A lot of phone lines have been cut in the area so
      burglars can break in without the police knowing. With our system... etc
      etc"

      Matt

      On 7/5/07, arodeojock@... <arodeojock@...> wrote:

      > This same gentleman came to my house in 504 as well. He was very rude
      > when I asked him to leave. So, he was getting around the city. It was a good
      > thing he didn't like my dog!

      > From: kevin cain <rufus132000@... <rufus132000%40yahoo.com>>
      > > We had one of them come to our door yesterday (yes, on the 4th of July)
      > claiming
      > > to be working for GE and doing checks on whether your security system
      > was
      > > wireless or not. He was a young, stocky guy with dark hair and a small,
      > ID badge
      > > of some kind clipped on his shirt. I asked him why he was working on a
      > national
      > > holiday, which seemed to throw him off a little, then told him that I
      > would let
      > > him check our system if I could take a photo of him. He left
      > immediately, of
      > > course, but everyone should be aware of these people.

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        Attached are some pictures of my visitors from one of my cameras; did
        anyone else see these folks? After reading that a "salesman" using similar
        language was suspicious, I thought I'd see if anyone else was visited. Even
        if legit, they were annoying.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
          The listserv apparently blocked the attachments, so here are links:

          http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92026/032-capture.jpg
          http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92030/003-capture.jpg
          http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92033/034-capture.jpg

        • Rynecki
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            Firstline appears to be a legitimate company
            http://www.getfirstline.com/index.asp

            Why they go door-to-door I have no idea.

          • khenderson029@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              The same thing happened on L Street, The guy said he was from ADT. I called
              the police because he did not have any identification.

            • brianionk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                Anything can be an opportunity for criminal perps. The confidence level
                is naturally, "high" for security people and systems alike. Everything
                and everyone close to one's home, business and loved ones deserves
                special scrutiny. Here's a cautionary excerpt from an article on home
                security systems...

                A Cat Burglar's Guide to Protecting Your Home
                Walter Shaw
                reprinted from Bottom Line/Personal,
                September 1, 2003

                <URL:%20http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/blpnet/article.html?article_id=\
                33836>

                I have spent most of my career stealing from people just like you. I was
                a member of the "Dinner Set" burglary ring for a dozen years. We stole
                about $70 million in jewelry -- for which I spent 11 years in prison. No
                one is better qualified to tell you that most people don't do enough to
                protect their homes...

                Mistake #2: Posting detailed alarm signs. Don't display signs that
                identify the alarm company. Burglars can buy information on how the
                systems are wired -- and how to bypass specific versions.

                Better: Buy signs at home-supply stores that read, This house is
                protected by an alarm system. As long as it doesn't give specific
                information, it can be a good deterrent.

                brian kerr
                on Newton / PSA 502

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
                  The same two guys allegedly selling ADT systems returned to our neighborhood
                  this past Saturday. I called the police again and the officers responded
                  quickly to ascertain their real purpose in the neighborhood. I don't think they
                  will visit this neighborhood again.