Re: [newhilleast] More "security" checks

  • arodeojock@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      This same gentleman came to my house in 504 as well. He was very rude when I asked him to leave. So, he was getting around the city. It was a good thing he didn't like my dog!

      From: kevin cain <rufus132000@...>
      > We had one of them come to our door yesterday (yes, on the 4th of July) claiming
      > to be working for GE and doing checks on whether your security system was
      > wireless or not. He was a young, stocky guy with dark hair and a small, ID badge
      > of some kind clipped on his shirt. I asked him why he was working on a national
      > holiday, which seemed to throw him off a little, then told him that I would let
      > him check our system if I could take a photo of him. He left immediately, of
      > course, but everyone should be aware of these people.

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        I had two white females from "Firstline" security come by my home (and
        others' on my street too) in PSA 504 on the 3rd. I happened to come onto
        the front porch and saw one of them standing there looking at my house.
        Startled, I asked who they were and then asked them to leave my property.
        Instead of leaving, one of them started going into a sales pitch. I firmly
        reiterated that she should leave NOW, and that I would take action should
        they continue to trespass. They left, grumbling as they went down the
        street.

        The interesting thing is that the sales pitch included, "I hope your phone
        lines don't get cut, because our security system uses cell phone technology
        and others don't. A lot of phone lines have been cut in the area so
        burglars can break in without the police knowing. With our system... etc
        etc"

        Matt

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          Attached are some pictures of my visitors from one of my cameras; did
          anyone else see these folks? After reading that a "salesman" using similar
          language was suspicious, I thought I'd see if anyone else was visited. Even
          if legit, they were annoying.

          Matt

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            The listserv apparently blocked the attachments, so here are links:

            http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92026/032-capture.jpg
            http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92030/003-capture.jpg
            http://security.mattashburn.com/zm/events/5/92033/034-capture.jpg

          • Rynecki
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              Firstline appears to be a legitimate company
              http://www.getfirstline.com/index.asp

              Why they go door-to-door I have no idea.

            • khenderson029@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                The same thing happened on L Street, The guy said he was from ADT. I called
                the police because he did not have any identification.

              • brianionk
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Anything can be an opportunity for criminal perps. The confidence level
                  is naturally, "high" for security people and systems alike. Everything
                  and everyone close to one's home, business and loved ones deserves
                  special scrutiny. Here's a cautionary excerpt from an article on home
                  security systems...

                  A Cat Burglar's Guide to Protecting Your Home
                  Walter Shaw
                  reprinted from Bottom Line/Personal,
                  September 1, 2003

                  <URL:%20http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/blpnet/article.html?article_id=\
                  33836>

                  I have spent most of my career stealing from people just like you. I was
                  a member of the "Dinner Set" burglary ring for a dozen years. We stole
                  about $70 million in jewelry -- for which I spent 11 years in prison. No
                  one is better qualified to tell you that most people don't do enough to
                  protect their homes...

                  Mistake #2: Posting detailed alarm signs. Don't display signs that
                  identify the alarm company. Burglars can buy information on how the
                  systems are wired -- and how to bypass specific versions.

                  Better: Buy signs at home-supply stores that read, This house is
                  protected by an alarm system. As long as it doesn't give specific
                  information, it can be a good deterrent.

                  brian kerr
                  on Newton / PSA 502

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9, 2007
                    The same two guys allegedly selling ADT systems returned to our neighborhood
                    this past Saturday. I called the police again and the officers responded
                    quickly to ascertain their real purpose in the neighborhood. I don't think they
                    will visit this neighborhood again.