Loitering in Rosedale (Follow Up)

  • einrosedale
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2013

      Hello Again-

      I just wanted to follow up on a message I sent out to the group about a month ago.  To reiterate, we've been having trouble with loitering (trash, drinking, fighting, drug dealing, etc) on our street (Isherwood).  I took the advice of the group and started contacting the police whenever there's been a problem.  So far, I've been using the text service (50411), but I can only get someone to show up about 40% of the time, and often then, they're too late to deal with the issue.  For instance, a group of guys might be drinking and smoking on my neighbors steps, but they could be gone 30 minutes later.

      My question is, should I just start calling 911?  Admittedly, these are not life-threatening emergencies, but my neighbors and I have no way to address them without getting the police involved.  I also want to say that I appreciate what the police have been able to do so far.  I just want to make sure that if I reach out, it's in a way that's effective for everyone.

      Thanks in advance for any advice from the group.

      -Eric

    • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2013
        Eric, call 911 when you need police service.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 14, 2013, at 8:31 AM, "einrosedale@..." <einrosedale@...> wrote:

[...]

        DC Government hiring is going paperless! Beginning September 9th, all job applicants will submit online only!  Visit DCHR’s website for a list of job openings and more information on the transition to online applications.

      • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2013
          Hello

          Not sure If I'm one of those who responded, but yes, you have to call 911 and 911 again, the same time period to followup on your original call.  As I mentioned in my previous posts, It was almost like I came home from work (1:30 pm - 2pm) and would have to start making calls especially for this annoying young drug dealer hanging on Summit Pl & U NE.

          Thank goodness this summer has been bliss.... guessing vice, bike cops, calls, make a difference.  Takes some time though.

          Sending emails to vice (whom ever is doing your area), Cmdr. Solberg and Chief Lanier, gets things moving along. Cmdr. Solberg or the powers that be, can get you in contact with vice.

          There were times where I felt like I was working a second job with my 911 calls, being vigilant, etc.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2013
            Eric, thank you for your observations and providing detailed information about your concerns.  We always ask that if you witness or are involved in an incident, event, activity or the commission of a crime in progress, please call 9-1-1 immediately

            Do not hesitate to call 9-1-1, providing us with the most detailed descriptions of what you have seen, heard, smelled or what you may been involved in so as we can respond accordingly.  Should you see a weapon(s) or hear what you believe to be the sounds of gunshots, include those descriptions as well.  Specify the type of weapon (knife, gun, tire iron, box cutter, ect..) and the number of shots fired and from what direction you heard them if at all possible.

            Frustrated with our response or should you ever catch us doing something right, feel free to contact our Patrol District Watch Commander on 202-327-4392.  Our Patrol District Watch Commander is available and on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

            I will pass along your observations and concerns Eric to Patrol Service Area Team 507 led by both Lieutenants Patricia Janifer and Bryant Jeter for immediate follow-up.  Lieutenant Janifer can be reached via e-mail at; patricia.janifer@... and Lieutenant Jeter can be reached via e-mail at bryant.jeter@....

            Mark Beach
            Assistant Patrol District Commander
            Metropolitan DC Police Department
            Fifth Police District
            1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
            Washington, DC 20002
            202-345-1313 BeachBerry
            202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
            202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
            202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
            202-727-9099 Command Information Center
            "Commitment to Excellence"

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2013
              Members of the Fifth Police District work extremely hard to ensure that all phone requests, text and e-mail messages are answered and addressed promptly.  Some requests for assistance or service are one time requests.  Other requests may involve considerable more time to identify and address.  ALL of your requests and insights are important and we ask that you provide us as much information as possible so as we can respond according.

              Below is a list of Police Officials assigned here at the Fifth Police District and their assignments for your information and assistance.
              Commander Andrew "Andy" Solberg,
              Fifth District Station
              1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE WDC 20002
              202 698-0111 phone
              202 724-8649 fax

              Day Watch Operations
              Assistant Patrol District Commander Mark Beach
              PSA 501 & 502
              mark.beach@... 202 698-0118

              Evening Day Watch Operations
              Assistant Patrol District Commander Andre Wright
              PSA 506 & 507
              andre.wright@... 202 698-0122
              Midnight Watch Operations
              Assistant Patrol District Commander Morgan Kane
              PSA 503, 504, 505
              morgan.kane@... 202 698-0121

              Administrative Operations
              Captain Jeff Brown, jeff.brown@... 202 698-0288