Officers at dinner

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2013
      Commander Solberg,
      Is there a good reason why 5 MPD officers would sit in the same restaurant for 2 hours?

      I had dinner at the Courtyard Hotel on Florida Ave NE this evening.  We watched 5 officers spend 2 hours sitting in the farthest corner of the resturant, eating snacks, charging cell phones, consuming sports drinks, flipping tv channels, and listening to the radio.  The group left shortly after 7:10 pm this evening.

      There were three bike officers and 2 regular uniform officers.  I believe officers need breaks, need to spend time together, and should not spend the entire day in the saddle or behind the wheel.  Are officers encouraged to break in more public places compared to the corner of a resturant?  Was this 2 hour break being supervised or approved?

      Given the issues with the MBT, and the great weather it would seem better to move the breaktime 50 feet away to a spot on the MBT.  A better choice might be the 7-11 or 5 Guys downstairs.  I would expect Courtyard to provide their own security.  Please let me know if there is an issue here.

      thanks, Jon
    • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013
        Jon

        Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We expect the officers to be on patrol and will certainly look into and address this.

        Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
        Fifth District Station
        Metropolitan Police Department
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-391-6862 (cell)
        202-698-0150 (station)

        On Sep 7, 2013, at 5:23 PM, "Jon" <jwh_east@...> wrote:

[...]

        Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013

          Jon and all,

          We have identified the officers in the restaurant Friday evening.

          Jon, I have asked you offline for some additional information, if you’re able to provide it.

          We are conducting an investigation into why the officers were here and for how long, and will take the appropriate actions once we get all the facts.

          Andy Solberg

          Commander, 5D

          DC Government hiring is going paperless! Beginning September 9th, all job applicants will submit online only!  Visit DCHR’s website for a list of job openings and more information on the transition to online applications.