Tagging

  • Charles Bashara
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
      Officers (and neighbors), I want to report some tagging that I saw on the pole of the first parking sign on the right (east) side of the 2200 block of Third Street, NE.  In silver paint, it reads "MS 13."

      We'd appreciate police vigilance in protecting our community.  Thank you for your service.

      Chuck
      Edgewood
    • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2013

        Thank you for this, we will have someone look into this.

        Lt. Hughes

        Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2013
          Thank you very much for bringing this Tag to our attention.  Be advised that this information has been passed along to our Intelligence and Gang Unit.  The Tag reported is not a teen age prank and warrants immediate action.

          For those that do not know, "MS 13" stands or represents Mara Salvatrucha (commonly abbreviated as MS, Mara
          MS-13a criminal gang that originated in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay area.  Factions have been reported in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan areas of Fairfax County, Virginia, Montgomery County, Maryland, and Prince George's County, Maryland; Long Island, New York; the Boston, Massachusetts area; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Houston, Texas. There is also a presence of MS-13 now in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

          Should you see any graffiti that looks fresh (new), contact us immediately and post a photograph if at all possible. Attached is one example of a MS-13 Tag, and is not the one located in the 2200 block of Third Street, NE.

          Mark Beach
          Assistant Patrol District Commander
          Metropolitan DC Police Department
          Fifth Police District