[MPD-5D] What happened to the Traffic Camera at 7th and Franklin NE?

  • Beach, Mark (MPD)
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
      Sir, the speed camera was not vandalized, it had been struck a number of times by vehicles.  Based upon the cost associated with the repairs and maintenance, it was determined that it could be positioned elsewhere and we would augment that area with mobile and fixed vehicle enforcement units.

      Should vehicles continue to strike your home or other buildings on your property, I am certain that you would evaluate the position of these dwellings and fortify the property boundaries and/or you may in fact elect to move.

      If your house was broken into, most would take proactive steps to fortify and secure your home in an attempt to eliminate break ins from occurring again.  Should you be victimized repeatedly, you may in deed elect to move from the city in order to be/feel safe.

      To maximize our flexibility and impact, the Metropolitan Police Department is using both non-fixed speed enforcement cameras and fixed-location cameras to monitor aggressive speeding. Speed camera enforcement zones are selected by the MPD based on recent incidents of speeding-related fatalities and crashes, proximity to school zones and other places where children or other vulnerable populations may be present, and known sites of chronic speeding. The deployment of the non-fixed speed camera units is at the sole discretion of MPD traffic safety experts.

      Some like the fact that speed cameras are permanently placed and they see a noticeable reduction in speed by most motorists.  We also hear the down side.  Motorists that exceed the posted speed limit are faced with no discretion in receiving notices of infraction.  All that violate are issued notices of infraction, even your police, fire and EMS vehicles.

      Some still like the visibility that a traffic patrol officer brings.  That traffic patrol officer has discretion in issuing verbal and written warnings but also has the authority to issue multiple citations during a one traffic stop.  The down size is that you are stopped and detained roadside for a period that may exceed 10 minutes and experience that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing if the traffic patrol officer will cite you or not.  Traffic stops by mobile enforcement units also have a calming effect on traffic and serve as an immediate deterrent to actually slow down other commuters.

      I have also heard that "speed cameras promote economic fascism, not public safety".  We want you to know that we actively listen to you and those we serve and protect.  MPD has brought forth technology, tools and staffing in an attempt to reduce, with a goal of eliminating, speeding vehicles that threaten your safety and our community.  Please understand that no one program will fit all.

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      From: mark.beach@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:44:28 -0400

      Thank you for the input Linda.  Your request for a CCTV Camera will be passed along to our Command Information Center, specifically Commander James Crane for consideration.