RE: RE: [MPD-5D] What happened to the Traffic Camera at 7th and Franklin NE?

  • richardemaze
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

      I appreciate the MPD answers but it hardly speaks well for policing that the response to a vandalized speed camera is to remove it. If my house is broken into, am I supposed to remove myself from the city in order to be safe?

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thank you, and I agree that we definitely need mobile vehicle enforcement along the 7th Street Franklin thru Hamilin corridor.

      Again, thank you MPD-5 for your presence-- we need all the assistance we can get to help deter that unsavory element in the community.

      Be safe and well.

      Stephanie

      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...
      From: mark.beach@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:44:28 -0400
      Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] What happened to the Traffic Camera at 7th and Franklin NE?

      Thank you for the input Linda.  Your request for a CCTV Camera will be passed along to our Command Information Center, specifically Commander James Crane for consideration.

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
        As a native Washingtonian, born in a house in Ward 5, raised in the house of which I currently own in Ward 5, let me comment briefly... If you are not going to be part of the solution then your snide remarks are inappropriate.

        Solberg with Beach and company are human and can do but so much and are providing outstanding service to my ANC area of which these comments are being directed.  The community has come a long way and improvements continue, but don't attack MPD under my watch.

        Now as far as that camera goes... It makes no sense to have the camera at that location; it will still get knocked down.  Only foot patrol and intuitive policing will continually assist with the reduction with these negative elements... And believe me, it has improved greatly.  We are making great strides with removing the negative elements in this community.

        Just last night, I was riding through the alley that supports the 600 blocks of Hamlin and Girard Street NE at 11:45 pm-- alley was vacant. Usually, at this time, 7 or more individuals would be hanging out.  Further, I walked from the 700 block of Jackson Street, Chancellors Row, at 11:55pm.  No one was out hanging around as usual. Although quite a few dog walkers were out and I asked them to please pick up the poop.

        Peace

        Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

               Booker T. Washington

        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...
        From: mark.beach@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:44:28 -0400

      • Beach, Mark (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
          Sir, the speed camera was not vandalized, it had been struck a number of times by vehicles.  Based upon the cost associated with the repairs and maintenance, it was determined that it could be positioned elsewhere and we would augment that area with mobile and fixed vehicle enforcement units.

          Should vehicles continue to strike your home or other buildings on your property, I am certain that you would evaluate the position of these dwellings and fortify the property boundaries and/or you may in fact elect to move.

          If your house was broken into, most would take proactive steps to fortify and secure your home in an attempt to eliminate break ins from occurring again.  Should you be victimized repeatedly, you may in deed elect to move from the city in order to be/feel safe.

          To maximize our flexibility and impact, the Metropolitan Police Department is using both non-fixed speed enforcement cameras and fixed-location cameras to monitor aggressive speeding. Speed camera enforcement zones are selected by the MPD based on recent incidents of speeding-related fatalities and crashes, proximity to school zones and other places where children or other vulnerable populations may be present, and known sites of chronic speeding. The deployment of the non-fixed speed camera units is at the sole discretion of MPD traffic safety experts.

          Some like the fact that speed cameras are permanently placed and they see a noticeable reduction in speed by most motorists.  We also hear the down side.  Motorists that exceed the posted speed limit are faced with no discretion in receiving notices of infraction.  All that violate are issued notices of infraction, even your police, fire and EMS vehicles.

          Some still like the visibility that a traffic patrol officer brings.  That traffic patrol officer has discretion in issuing verbal and written warnings but also has the authority to issue multiple citations during a one traffic stop.  The down size is that you are stopped and detained roadside for a period that may exceed 10 minutes and experience that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing if the traffic patrol officer will cite you or not.  Traffic stops by mobile enforcement units also have a calming effect on traffic and serve as an immediate deterrent to actually slow down other commuters.

          I have also heard that "speed cameras promote economic fascism, not public safety".  We want you to know that we actively listen to you and those we serve and protect.  MPD has brought forth technology, tools and staffing in an attempt to reduce, with a goal of eliminating, speeding vehicles that threaten your safety and our community.  Please understand that no one program will fit all.

          To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...