What happened to the Traffic Camera at 7th and Franklin NE?

  • Stephanie A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013

      Officer Beach - I am again following up on the traffic camera that used to be at 7th and Franklin Street NE.  Not sure why after months and months of a patrol car being stationed at that corner by the storefront church, and finally a camera installed-- now the camera has been completely removed.

      ?? Please advise, I believe the traffic camera should be reinstalled, and if not a traffic camera then certainly a MPD camera to help keep additional eyes on activities along the 7th Street NE corridor from Franklin to Hamlin NE.

      Please advise.

      Thank you,
      Stephanie

      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      From: mark.beach@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:50:16 -0400
      Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] What to do to deter loitering and clean our parks and school properties

      I am checking now on it's status.  Thanks again for all your observations and sharing those with us.  Stay safe...

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      From: mark.beach@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:15:14 -0400

      Thanks for this information, Stephanie.. I will pass along the loitering information to our Patrol Service Area officials now and notify Lisa Sutter, Program Manager for Speed Cameras of this fact.  Is the camera lying down on the ground or taken away altogether?

      From: mark.beach@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:39:58 -0400

      We would request that you do not place yourself in harm's way attempting to disperse a crowd possibly consuming alcohol/drugs and disturbing the peace and negatively effecting your quality of life.  Call 9-1-1 and accurately describe what you see, hear and paint a portrait of what acts or actions this crowd/groups engaged in that offends you or others.  If you see or smell alcohol/drugs provide us that information as well.

      We would ask your assistance in cleaning up after others that deposit trash in and around the park and Perry Street Prep School property.

      With this approach, we hope to gain compliance in reducing, with the goal of eliminating, these actions that negatively effect our community.  Our goal at 5D is to educate, warn, deter and hopefully not effect arrests to gain compliance.

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      DCPS starts up again on August 26th! Enroll your student today by submitting completed forms to your child's school.

      Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enrollHave questions? E-mail enroll@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
        Stephanie, thank you for bringing this to our attention and let me consult with Ms. Lisa Sutter our Program Manager and advise.

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013

          Based upon the fact that this particular camera has been knocked down several times, MPD determined that we could not risk it being damaged.  We had to permanently remove it and we will augment with mobile enforcement vehicles.

          To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

          First, thank you for all that you do to keep our neighborhoods safe.

          Second, I live by the Taft Recreation Center and I've noticed a few posts regarding the unwanted loitering that happens around the park area. These individuals congregate at dusk and usually stick around until 3AM. Mostly men (although some females do engage), these individuals drink and leave large amounts of trash in the park and on the Perry Street Prep School property.

          Understanding DC does not have a loitering law, what can residents do to deter the loitering the goes on at this park? Is calling the police when the crowd gets rowdy our only solution?

        • Linda Lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
            Thank you. We need all the police presence we can get, especially since school has started. Kids and cars and buses in the street together in that corner is a dangerous combination.
            Could you possibly put an MPD camera up on a light pole, where no one can reach it, to cover the whole intersection from 7th & Edgewood over to include the area in question?
            It seems that there some who need to be more closely supervised who frequent this whole area from the 7th & Edgewood bus stop over to the area in question beyond the bridge. Someone has also damaged part of the street sign near the bus stop at 7th & Edgewood. I have personally had a couple of uncomfortable experiences getting off the bus at 7th & Edgewood in the evening. Yes, I called 911 and emailed Captain Kane and/or Lt. Wright. Having a permanent surveillance camera to cover that whole area would help to know WHO needs some alternative interventions to steer them straight. I have also seen/heard people arguing over there in front of the store.

            Thanks again,

            Linda D. Lee

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
              Thank you for the input Linda.  Your request for a CCTV Camera will be passed along to our Command Information Center, specifically Commander James Crane for consideration.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
                Thank you, and I agree that we definitely need mobile vehicle enforcement along the 7th Street Franklin thru Hamilin corridor.

                Again, thank you MPD-5 for your presence-- we need all the assistance we can get to help deter that unsavory element in the community.

                Be safe and well.

                Stephanie

                To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
                  Officer Beach, I believe it would be most helpful to install a MPD camera up high on polls where they should not be tampered with.

                  I vote for MPD cameras in the 7th Street Franklin Streets to Hamlin Street corridor.

                  Thank you,
                  Stephanie

                  To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                  To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                  First, thank you for all that you do to keep our neighborhoods safe.

                  Second, I live by the Taft Recreation Center and I've noticed a few posts regarding the unwanted loitering that happens around the park area. These individuals congregate at dusk and usually stick around until 3AM. Mostly men (although some females do engage), these individuals drink and leave large amounts of trash in the park and on the Perry Street Prep School property.

                  Understanding DC does not have a loitering law, what can residents do to deter the loitering the goes on at this park? Is calling the police when the crowd gets rowdy our only solution?

                • richardemaze
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013

                    I appreciate the MPD answers but it hardly speaks well for policing that the response to a vandalized speed camera is to remove it. If my house is broken into, am I supposed to remove myself from the city in order to be safe?

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
                      As a native Washingtonian, born in a house in Ward 5, raised in the house of which I currently own in Ward 5, let me comment briefly... If you are not going to be part of the solution then your snide remarks are inappropriate.

                      Solberg with Beach and company are human and can do but so much and are providing outstanding service to my ANC area of which these comments are being directed.  The community has come a long way and improvements continue, but don't attack MPD under my watch.

                      Now as far as that camera goes... It makes no sense to have the camera at that location; it will still get knocked down.  Only foot patrol and intuitive policing will continually assist with the reduction with these negative elements... And believe me, it has improved greatly.  We are making great strides with removing the negative elements in this community.

                      Just last night, I was riding through the alley that supports the 600 blocks of Hamlin and Girard Street NE at 11:45 pm-- alley was vacant. Usually, at this time, 7 or more individuals would be hanging out.  Further, I walked from the 700 block of Jackson Street, Chancellors Row, at 11:55pm.  No one was out hanging around as usual. Although quite a few dog walkers were out and I asked them to please pick up the poop.

                      Peace

                      Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

                             Booker T. Washington

                      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                      CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...
                      From: mark.beach@...
                      Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:44:28 -0400

                    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
                        Sir, the speed camera was not vandalized, it had been struck a number of times by vehicles.  Based upon the cost associated with the repairs and maintenance, it was determined that it could be positioned elsewhere and we would augment that area with mobile and fixed vehicle enforcement units.

                        Should vehicles continue to strike your home or other buildings on your property, I am certain that you would evaluate the position of these dwellings and fortify the property boundaries and/or you may in fact elect to move.

                        If your house was broken into, most would take proactive steps to fortify and secure your home in an attempt to eliminate break ins from occurring again.  Should you be victimized repeatedly, you may in deed elect to move from the city in order to be/feel safe.

                        To maximize our flexibility and impact, the Metropolitan Police Department is using both non-fixed speed enforcement cameras and fixed-location cameras to monitor aggressive speeding. Speed camera enforcement zones are selected by the MPD based on recent incidents of speeding-related fatalities and crashes, proximity to school zones and other places where children or other vulnerable populations may be present, and known sites of chronic speeding. The deployment of the non-fixed speed camera units is at the sole discretion of MPD traffic safety experts.

                        Some like the fact that speed cameras are permanently placed and they see a noticeable reduction in speed by most motorists.  We also hear the down side.  Motorists that exceed the posted speed limit are faced with no discretion in receiving notices of infraction.  All that violate are issued notices of infraction, even your police, fire and EMS vehicles.

                        Some still like the visibility that a traffic patrol officer brings.  That traffic patrol officer has discretion in issuing verbal and written warnings but also has the authority to issue multiple citations during a one traffic stop.  The down size is that you are stopped and detained roadside for a period that may exceed 10 minutes and experience that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing if the traffic patrol officer will cite you or not.  Traffic stops by mobile enforcement units also have a calming effect on traffic and serve as an immediate deterrent to actually slow down other commuters.

                        I have also heard that "speed cameras promote economic fascism, not public safety".  We want you to know that we actively listen to you and those we serve and protect.  MPD has brought forth technology, tools and staffing in an attempt to reduce, with a goal of eliminating, speeding vehicles that threaten your safety and our community.  Please understand that no one program will fit all.

                        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                        CC: andrew.solberg@...; james.crane@...