Vehicle break ins at Costco

  • Yo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2013
      Beware when you park your car at Costco. There have been numerous thefts. My window was broken and the radio was removed Friday. They had to have watched me go in because I was only inside minutes 30 minutes. Would not surprise me if the guys who collect the carts are involved.
    • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
        Shame.  Maybe MPD could set up a sting operation at the lot.  Seems like an easy one to me.

        Beware when you park your car at Costco. There have been numerous thefts. My window was broken and the radio was removed Friday. They had to have watched me go in because I was only inside minutes 30 minutes. Would not surprise me if the guys who collect the carts are involved.

      • Gigi Ransom
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
          Ironically, I was at Costco Friday afternoon.  I had walked down for the bus and saw a police car (547) sitting on the side by the road.  When I came out about 1 hour later, while walking through the parking lot I saw car window glass on the ground, but no car there.

          It is a shame that this is occurring especially if it happened with a police presence.  Whether or not the police are present, customers should remember to hid purses, change, money, other purchases before you come to the parking lot. Also remember to lock your car doors.  I wonder if cars are also being stolen while customers shop.

          Albrette "Gigi" Ransom

          Beware when you park your car at Costco. There have been numerous thefts. My window was broken and the radio was removed Friday. They had to have watched me go in because I was only inside minutes 30 minutes. Would not surprise me if the guys who collect the carts are involved.

        • Mr. Keith Jarrell
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
            Sadly, there is huge difference in the quality of help at the DC Costco verses the others. I have been a member of Costco since the 80's and this DC Costco has to be dead last in customer service. The help is often rude, lazy acting and mindless when it comes to being of assistance.
            It's shameful that the quality of the workforce in DC has to take on this reputation.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013

              MPD is on top of this issue dealing with members Costco security team.  Please remember not to leave anything valuable in site as you park and leave your vehicle anywhere in the District of Columbia .

              Lt. Corinne Hughes

              Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
                Thank you for this update. as someone who shops somewhat regularly at Costco, I have never had any problems with the staff. Why do you think that the "cart guys" are assisting/aiding the car thefts?

                Leslie on Girard
              • Mr. Keith Jarrell
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
                  I have on numerous occasions noticed MPD sitting on the lot.  Completed in an area that there are no cars and no people walking to their cars.
                  Would be better enforcement if they were to be visible in the areas where people are parking and walking to and from the front door?

                  Keith

                  On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM, leslie strothers <leslie_strothers@...> wrote:

                  Thank you for this update. as someone who shops somewhat regularly at Costco, I have never had any problems with the staff. Why do you think that the "cart guys" are assisting/aiding the car thefts?

                  Leslie on Girard

                  --

                  Even life begins because, a baby fights for freedom.

                  (Let Freedom Ring)

                  Please be informed that if you are in receipt of this email by intent, it is provided solely for the use of communicating with you as the intended target.  Use or duplication of this email including forwarding of attached email or any part of which is forbidden. To do so could result in a complaint being filed against you in multiple jurisdictions, including the District of Columbia, and or the state in which you also live.  Keith Jarrell

                  Keith Jarrell

                • Beach, Mark (MPD)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013

                    As you can see from the table below we are experiencing an increase in the number of Thefts from Automobiles in/around Costco.  Please review the information provided below and assist us in reducing the odds that you or a loved one is victimized.

                    Month

                    Total TFA

                    January

                    1

                    May

                    2

                    June

                    2

                    July

                    4

                    August

                    7

                    Total

                    16

                    One of the biggest misconceptions about auto theft is where they occur. Did you know more than 33% of all vehicle thefts occur near the car owner’s residence and around 20% of thefts occur in parking lots?

                    All auto break-ins usually have one thing in common: there's something left in the car worth stealing. Most thefts from cars are "crimes of opportunity" that could be prevented by taking some or all of the following preventative steps.

                    • Don't leave valuables in your vehicle: You'd be surprised how often this happens, but individuals leave valuable items in plain sight all the time. If you leave items in your vehicle and they're visible, the chances your vehicle will get broken into, increase greatly.
                    • Place items out of sight BEFORE reaching your destination: Someone may be watching when you put your valuables under a seat or in the trunk and the moment you're gone, a thief could break into your car. So place those items in a safe place before you get to the park, shop, restaurant, baseball game, etc. Valuable items that thieves target are GPS units, MP3 players, credit cards, money, packages and so forth. If you can't take the items with you, secure them in a safe place in your vehicle, like a locked glove compartment or your trunk.
                    • Avoid leaving packages or shopping bags out in the open: Lock them into your trunk, if you have to leave the vehicle unattended. Never open a trunk, fill it full of valuables, close it, and then just walk away.
                    • Lock ALL of your vehicle's doors: This is true even if you plan on only being gone for "just a second". Remember, it only takes seconds to steal items from your car. It's not uncommon, for thieves to walk down a row of parked vehicles, looking for unlocked doors. Also, make sure car windows aren't left open.
                    • Park in busy, well lit areas: Pick a parking spot where there is a lot of activity. Auto thieves prefer breaking into cars in isolated areas.
                    • Don't leave a trace: Don't leave any sign that there might be valuables "out of sight" in your vehicle. For example: the suction cup on your dashboard, might tell thieves, that you have a GPS system in your vehicle. Leave nothing in plain view. Very few auto break-ins are "random". The thieves usually see something out in the open or hints of possible hidden valuables.
                    • Alarms or anti-theft devices work: Thieves are usually looking for the "easiest" target. If your car has an alarm, it could act as a deterrent. But don't make this common mistake: Just because you have an alarm, doesn't mean thieves won't break-in, IF you leave valuable items in plain sight.
                    • Don't leave spare keys in your vehicle: An experienced thief knows all the hiding places. Store spare keys elsewhere, possibly your wallet or purse.

                    One of the "hottest" items that thieves are targeting both locally and nationally, is the GPS system in your vehicle. It's very simple "if you leave a GPS system in your car, the chances are it will be stolen". Here are few tips to prevent your satellite navigation system from being taken:

                    • Take the whole unit out of your vehicle including the mounting bracket. Don't leave your vehicle unattended with the GPS system in plain sight.
                    • Wipe the windshield so that the suction marks left from the system are wiped away.

                    Mark Beach
                    Assistant Patrol District Commander
                    Metropolitan DC Police Department
                    Fifth Police District
                    1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                    Washington, DC 20002
                    202-345-1313 BeachBerry
                    202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
                    202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
                    202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
                    202-727-9099 Command Information Center
                    "Commitment to Excellence"

                    Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

                    Thank you for this update. as someone who shops somewhat regularly at Costco, I have never had any problems with the staff. Why do you think that the "cart guys" are assisting/aiding the car thefts?

                    Leslie on Girard

                  • Wendy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013

                      Wow!