Weapon Recovery in the 600 Block of Girard Street, NE

  • policefsu13
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
      This morning at 02:54 AM, 5D Units received a call for the sound of gunshots in/around the 600 Block of Girard Street NE. Neighbors reported hearing gunshots and running in the area. This area has been a recent concern for us specially in the area of 7th and Hamelin Street, NE. In fact, we just attended a Community Meeting last evening along with Samantha Nolan and the Chancellors Row Neighborhood concerning issues in and around this area.

      5D Units responded, canvassed and took a report for the Sound of Gunshots reflecting CCN # 122-439. No victim was located.

      Day Watch Patrol Service Area (PSA)502 Units led by Sergeant Steinhilber responded back to this area for a complete canvass once day light broke and recovered a black 9MM HELWAN semi automatic handgun, from the front of an address in the 600 Block of Girard Street, NE, behind a cable box. The weapon was loaded with one round in the chamber and one round in the magazine. The hammer on the weapon was cocked!

      PSA 502 Units also walked a three block radius of the gun recovery in an attempt to locate the spent shell casings with negative results.

      This is just another example of the hard work, dedication and relentless follow up being performed by members of the Fifth Police District on information provided by you all. We thank you for being our active partner in public safety and please keep in mind, "if you see something, say something". Call 9-1-1 right away with detailed information when possible.
    • Debbie Steiner
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
        As I had attended this very important safety meeting earlier and had to leave because of an emergency; I continually applaud the efforts and results of which 5D produces.

        The police presence has been evident, although, new negative human elements seem to be determined to parade around in the below identified area.

        I am confident that Mark Beach will devise a plan of attack with Captains Kane and Wright to help eradicate this long standing revolving door issue.

        Thanks Steinhilber for being there and using your keen eye sight and training to recover the weapon.

        Warmest appreciation,

        Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

               Booker T. Washington

[...]

      • Citizen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
          Were any prints able to be lifted from the handgun?  Did the fact that you are not equipped with enough manpower to police all 911 calls, prevent you from sitting on this firearm for a period of time to see if someone might come to get it?

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com
              MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Beach, Mark (MPD)
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
            The weapon is being processed at our state of the art Forensics Lab that performs a number of tests on firearms, magazines and ammo. We are staffed to manage calls for service and other self initiated assignments that come forth each tour and most importantly we are in the risk management business. That risk involves decision making concerning weapons. I would rather work the recovery with forensic analysis and good old fashion police work than risk the loss of a crime gun back into our community. I have made more death notifications to loved ones in 31 years than I care to think about. I cannot imagine the anguish a parent, wife/husband, brother/sister, extended family, friends, relatives and associates would feel hearing a family member was killed with a gun we were capable and able to recover immediately but chose to sit on in an attempt to make an arrest that may or may not be prosecuted. I will gladly leave those cases to TV and Hollywood.

[...]

            Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.

          • Debbie Steiner
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
              Last night MPD 5D had their high voltage lighting in the area of where the gun was recovered.  As well as the police presence was prominent on 7th Street NE.

              These actions above sends the strong message: We, MPD, take serious the intrusion of safety and those who make an independent choice to cause deterioration of the quality of life here in Ward 5. Further, we will not tolerate corruption of any type that intrudes on important safety of life which is priceless.

              For this the Chancellor Row community within Edgewood and I say "Thanks too all"!!

              Now on the lighter side -- can we please  move the lighting down at the opposite corner where the action takes place?

              :-)

[...]

            • Stephanie A. Robinson
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
                I too attended the neighborhood watch meeting, appreciate the work of MPD-5.  We just need a continued and concentrated aggressive effort on the part of MPD-5 to eradicate that continuous "bad element" that continues to loiter in our communities.  No good can come from groups of men hanging on street corners during the day and night.  There is more going on those corners then just conversation!

                We appreciate all MPD-5 efforts to keep the corners of 7th and Franklin and 7th and Hamlin and all neighborhood streets safe!

                Again, thank you MPD-5 for you tough jobs!

                Stephanie

                Stephanie "The One"

                "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." H.D

                Sent from my iPhone