Re: [MPD-5D] Loitering / Drug Dealing Issue in Rosedale

  • Beach, Mark (MPD)
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
      Eric I forwarded your message to our squads to bring you and your family some relief.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
        Hi Eric,

        I had the same problem. Loitering, fighting, drugs, music, you name it. Right in front of my house, every day and night. There was trash on the sidewalk and even empty bottles thrown in my yard. I think it was because I have a street light right out front and it just became the place to hang out. Not only was it loud, I couldn't leave my door open because of the marijuana smell and other drug use.

        A few months ago, I decided I had enough. I started to clean up after them. It angered me because I felt I was just giving them a clean place to hang out. I did it after work, when they were out there. They moved, but would return. They sat on my steps, so I put syrup and bird seed all over my steps. All that did was have them lean on the fence and not sit down, but they still hung around.

        I didn't want to bother the police, but I finally decided to talk to someone at MPD. I never called the police when they were just hanging outside, but I was told it was OK. As soon as they started to hang around, I called. Sometimes, it took a little time because the officers were busy, but they do arrive. You can be anonymous and the officers who respond would just say there has been a complaint. It works! It still took a few months, but now…. Finally…. The front of my house is not the place to hang out.
        Keep us posted!
        Glenda

      • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
          Exactly Glenda... same advice I gave someone else on this list serve earlier this summer.

          I had the same problem. Loitering, fighting, drugs, music, you name it. Right in front of my house, every day and night. There was trash on the sidewalk and even empty bottles thrown in my yard. I think it was because I have a street light right out front and it just became the place to hang out. Not only was it loud, I couldn't leave my door open because of the marijuana smell and other drug use.

          A few months ago, I decided I had enough. I started to clean up after them. It angered me because I felt I was just giving them a clean place to hang out. I did it after work, when they were out there. They moved, but would return. They sat on my steps, so I put syrup and bird seed all over my steps. All that did was have them lean on the fence and not sit down, but they still hung around.

          I didn't want to bother the police, but I finally decided to talk to someone at MPD. I never called the police when they were just hanging outside, but I was told it was OK. As soon as they started to hang around, I called. Sometimes, it took a little time because the officers were busy, but they do arrive. You can be anonymous and the officers who respond would just say there has been a complaint. It works! It still took a few months, but now…. Finally…. The front of my house is not the place to hang out.
          Keep us posted!
          Glenda

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "einrosedale" <einrosedale@...> wrote:

          > Hello-
          >
          > I'd like to bring a series of issues on my block to MPD and the general listerv's attention. My wife, son and I live on the 1500 block of Isherwood Street NE, and lately there's been a pretty serious issue with loitering generally directly in front of our house. A group of teenagers/20-somethings, will hang-out and drink, smoke weed, fight, curse and generally be loud on-and-off all day, every day.
          >
          > If that was the extent of it, I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but in the past few months, I've noticed that they've been dealing drugs (again, generally right in front of our house) along with a guy that supplies them right across the street. People drive through with MD/VA tags regularly to complete transactions. It's blatantly obvious, and our other neighbors have corroborated it, so I'm sure I'm not mistaking this for something else.
          >
          > If there's anything MPD can do to help, I'd be more than happy to provide further detail. If anyone on the listserv is familiar with the issue, please chime in. We live on a great block, and I don't want to let this issue ruin it.
          >

          > Thanks in advance for your consideration-
          >
          > -Eric

        • wendy_lewis2
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
            Very.creative

            Sent from my handy dandy Galaxy Sllll

            I had the same problem. Loitering, fighting, drugs, music, you name it. Right in front of my house, every day and night. There was trash on the sidewalk and even empty bottles thrown in my yard. I think it was because I have a street light right out front and it just became the place to hang out. Not only was it loud, I couldn't leave my door open because of the marijuana smell and other drug use.

            A few months ago, I decided I had enough. I started to clean up after them. It angered me because I felt I was just giving them a clean place to hang out. I did it after work, when they were out there. They moved, but would return. They sat on my steps, so I put syrup and bird seed all over my steps. All that did was have them lean on the fence and not sit down, but they still hung around.

            I didn't want to bother the police, but I finally decided to talk to someone at MPD. I never called the police when they were just hanging outside, but I was told it was OK. As soon as they started to hang around, I called. Sometimes, it took a little time because the officers were busy, but they do arrive. You can be anonymous and the officers who respond would just say there has been a complaint. It works! It still took a few months, but now…. Finally…. The front of my house is not the place to hang out.
            Keep us posted!
            Glenda

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "einrosedale" <einrosedale@...> wrote:

            > Hello-
            >
            > I'd like to bring a series of issues on my block to MPD and the general listerv's attention. My wife, son and I live on the 1500 block of Isherwood Street NE, and lately there's been a pretty serious issue with loitering generally directly in front of our house. A group of teenagers/20-somethings, will hang-out and drink, smoke weed, fight, curse and generally be loud on-and-off all day, every day.
            >
            > If that was the extent of it, I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but in the past few months, I've noticed that they've been dealing drugs (again, generally right in front of our house) along with a guy that supplies them right across the street. People drive through with MD/VA tags regularly to complete transactions. It's blatantly obvious, and our other neighbors have corroborated it, so I'm sure I'm not mistaking this for something else.
            >
            > If there's anything MPD can do to help, I'd be more than happy to provide further detail. If anyone on the listserv is familiar with the issue, please chime in. We live on a great block, and I don't want to let this issue ruin it.
            >

            > Thanks in advance for your consideration-
            >
            > -Eric

          • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013

              Thanks Glenda that is exactly how it works. Don’t let them hang out in front of your house call the police.  Also call Lt. Patricia Janifer on 202-698-0268 so we can really abate the issue.

              Lt. Corinne Hughes

              March with the DC delegation and join the pre-March rally for DC rights at the August 24th 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Check out marchondc50.dc.gov for full event details.

              I had the same problem. Loitering, fighting, drugs, music, you name it. Right in front of my house, every day and night. There was trash on the sidewalk and even empty bottles thrown in my yard. I think it was because I have a street light right out front and it just became the place to hang out. Not only was it loud, I couldn't leave my door open because of the marijuana smell and other drug use.

              A few months ago, I decided I had enough. I started to clean up after them. It angered me because I felt I was just giving them a clean place to hang out. I did it after work, when they were out there. They moved, but would return. They sat on my steps, so I put syrup and bird seed all over my steps. All that did was have them lean on the fence and not sit down, but they still hung around.

              I didn't want to bother the police, but I finally decided to talk to someone at MPD. I never called the police when they were just hanging outside, but I was told it was OK. As soon as they started to hang around, I called. Sometimes, it took a little time because the officers were busy, but they do arrive. You can be anonymous and the officers who respond would just say there has been a complaint. It works! It still took a few months, but now…. Finally…. The front of my house is not the place to hang out.
              Keep us posted!
              Glenda

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "einrosedale" <einrosedale@...> wrote:

              > Hello-
              >
              > I'd like to bring a series of issues on my block to MPD and the general
              listerv's attention. My wife, son and I live on the 1500 block of Isherwood Street NE , and lately there's been a pretty serious issue with loitering generally directly in front of our house. A group of teenagers/20-somethings, will hang-out and drink, smoke weed, fight, curse and generally be loud on-and-off all day, every day.

              > If that was the extent of it, I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but in the
              past few months, I've noticed that they've been dealing drugs (again, generally right in front of our house) along with a guy that supplies them right across the street. People drive through with MD/VA tags regularly to complete transactions. It's blatantly obvious, and our other neighbors have corroborated it, so I'm sure I'm not mistaking this for something else.

              > If there's anything MPD can do to help, I'd be more than happy to provide
              further detail. If anyone on the listserv is familiar with the issue, please chime in. We live on a great block, and I don't want to let this issue ruin it.

              > Thanks in advance for your consideration-
              >
              > -Eric

            • Stephanie A. Robinson
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
                Good for you Eric.  We have to continue to discourage the "Bad and Unwanted Element" that continues to escalate in our communities.

                Good for you!

                Stephanie

                To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                From: shyl8y@...
                Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:38:48 +0000

                Hi Eric,

                I had the same problem. Loitering, fighting, drugs, music, you name it. Right in front of my house, every day and night. There was trash on the sidewalk and even empty bottles thrown in my yard. I think it was because I have a street light right out front and it just became the place to hang out. Not only was it loud, I couldn't leave my door open because of the marijuana smell and other drug use.

                A few months ago, I decided I had enough. I started to clean up after them. It angered me because I felt I was just giving them a clean place to hang out. I did it after work, when they were out there. They moved, but would return. They sat on my steps, so I put syrup and bird seed all over my steps. All that did was have them lean on the fence and not sit down, but they still hung around.

                I didn't want to bother the police, but I finally decided to talk to someone at MPD. I never called the police when they were just hanging outside, but I was told it was OK. As soon as they started to hang around, I called. Sometimes, it took a little time because the officers were busy, but they do arrive. You can be anonymous and the officers who respond would just say there has been a complaint. It works! It still took a few months, but now…. Finally…. The front of my house is not the place to hang out.
                Keep us posted!
                Glenda

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "einrosedale" <einrosedale@...> wrote:

                > Hello-
                >
                > I'd like to bring a series of issues on my block to MPD and the general listerv's attention. My wife, son and I live on the 1500 block of Isherwood Street NE, and lately there's been a pretty serious issue with loitering generally directly in front of our house. A group of teenagers/20-somethings, will hang-out and drink, smoke weed, fight, curse and generally be loud on-and-off all day, every day.
                >
                > If that was the extent of it, I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but in the past few months, I've noticed that they've been dealing drugs (again, generally right in front of our house) along with a guy that supplies them right across the street. People drive through with MD/VA tags regularly to complete transactions. It's blatantly obvious, and our other neighbors have corroborated it, so I'm sure I'm not mistaking this for something else.
                >
                > If there's anything MPD can do to help, I'd be more than happy to provide further detail. If anyone on the listserv is familiar with the issue, please chime in. We live on a great block, and I don't want to let this issue ruin it.
                >

                > Thanks in advance for your consideration-
                >
                > -Eric

              • einrosedale
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
                  Thanks to everyone who responded, and to MPD! For the first time, I'm feeling hopeful about the situation. I'll definitely follow up with the contact provided and keep the ball rolling.

                  Thanks again-

                  -Eric