FW: Message from the Executive Office of the Chief of Police
From: Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:42 PM
Subject: Message from the Executive Office of the Chief of Police
Dear Fellow District Government Members,
During your discussions with fellow residents and/or visits to local community meetings, please help spread the word to our city's parents and youth about the "Summer of Safety" (SoS) 2007 initiative. Posters will be appearing in local recreation centers and schools. In addition, the information will be included in this year's DC Summer Fun Guide, coming to all homes in the District within the next couple of weeks, thanks to a collaborative effort with the Children and Youth Investment Trust.
Brief Overview of the SoS Initiative:
Community Outreach & Prevention Component (June 14 - August 26, 2007)
1) I have asked all 46 Police Service Areas (police beats) in the city to host events to reach out to youth during the entire 10-week summer in their communities.
2) Each police district will run a summer day camp at reduced day camp rates (meals included through a partnership with the State Education Office). School Resource Officers will work in the camps.
3) In addition, registration drives will take place at each police district to sign up youth for Camp Brown (one-week overnight camp). Camp Brown Application: http://www.bgcgw.org/clubs/metro_camp.html
4) Students and parents will be encouraged to dial a police-sponsored summer youth activity hotline (202-Im-Bored) during the summer months to learn about supervised events that are of little to no cost to them.
5) Nearly 100 youth will be hired to work for MPD through a partnership with the Department of Employment Services' 2007 Summer Youth Employment Program.
6) The Metropolitan Police Department will kick off the Summer of Safety Phase II on the last day of school, Thursday, June 14th, with four "Out of School/Summer of Safety Block Parties" for the city's youth. The Department of Parks and Recreation will assist as a local partner. School-aged youth from around the city are invited to attend, beginning at 12:30 pm.
Four Locations (Free Food, Tee Shirts for Youth, Entertainment, Calendars of Events for the Summer, Camp Info, etc.)
1) ROC Central- (Hechinger Mall's Parking Lot) 1D, 5D
2) ROC North- (Bancroft Elementary School) 2D, 3D, 4D
3) ROC East- a (#14 Boys and Girls Club- 6D)
4) ROC East-b (Malcolm X Elementary School- 7D)
For more information (including information on volunteering) and additional handout materials, see the attached fliers, visit the web link below or contact the Office of Community Outreach for the Metropolitan Police Department, 727-8809.
Webpage for the Summer of Safety: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/sos <http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/sos>
Webpage for our DC Summer Fun Partners: http://www.dcsummerfun.dc.gov <http://www.dcsummerfun.dc.gov/>
Please spread the word, and let's make this the best and safest summer yet for youth in our city!
Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of Police
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]