[MPD-5D] Public drunkenness, open containers, alley as bathroom

  • Beach, Mark (MPD)
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
      Elizabeth, All; this behavior is unacceptable and will not/cannot be tolerated.  Report all observations to 9-1-1 and keep us abreast here on our community ListServ of your observations, feelings and perceptions.  Inform us as well of your observations of our Officers actions in addressing this quality of life issue.

      This area lies on the border of Patrol Service Areas 501 and 502 here within the Fifth Police District.  I have directed our PSA Officials to assign two Officers on Day Watch and Evenings, one from each PSA, to be assigned and directly address this community concern, starting immediately, seven days a week.

      Mark Beach
      Assistant Patrol District Commander
      Metropolitan DC Police Department
      Fifth Police District
      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      Washington, DC 20002
      202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      "Commitment to Excellence"

      On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:50 AM, "Elizabeth Lyttleton" <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

      Over the last several months, a group of folks has taken to using the
      sidewalk of 1600 block of Lincoln Rd NE (Between Quincy Place and R Street
      NE) as their living room. These people buy singles at the corner liquor
      store an sit on the stoop all day drinking (or worse sometimes, based on
      activity I've observed). While this is a very unfortunate use of public
      space, making it uncomfortable for folks walking by, the lack of facilities
      nearby has also led members of this group to use the alley between R St NE
      and Quincy Pl NE as a public bathroom. We now routinely see/smell human
      urine and excrement in the alley behind our house.

      I have called 911 on this group several times - sometimes asking for
      ambulance (when I see people passed out or super disoriented), sometimes
      for police (when I see drug deals or people using the bathroom in the alley),
      in an attempt to address the problem. But the group just gets larger.

      1) What else can be done from an MPD perspective? I understand that
      loitering is not illegal, but this can't be ok.
      2) Does anybody in the neighborhood know where this group is coming from?
      They did not used to hang out here. I'm wondering what can be done to
      address the issue at the source. Are they receiving services nearby?

      This is becoming untenable for my family. I'm not comfortable with smelly
      drunk people approaching (stumbling towards) my children as we try to go
      for a walk to try to pinch their cheeks.

      Elizabeth
      Unit Block of R St

      .

      March with the DC delegation and join the pre-March rally for DC rights at the August 24th 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Check out marchondc50.dc.gov for full event details.

    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2013
        Elizabeth, All; 5D Units assigned to address these quality of life issues have determined so far that the majority of the folks involved in these behaviors are clients of the shelter which are moved out at 7:00 AM.  Our Day Watch Units have begun removing "milk type" crates and old chairs they were using as seats.  We are coordinating with DPW to respond with us to remove debris, junk, trash and to clean up the corresponding alleyways.

        Please keep us posted on areas that need our attention and your continued observations in this area of concern.

        Residents of the Lincoln Road area are asked to partner with us and assist in cleaning/picking debris and trash on public space.  We all have a vested interest in a positive outcome.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25, 2013
          Commander Beach,

          I appreciate how responsive and helpful you and your team are on this list.

          Since it seems that these people have no home and nowhere to go at these hours, are there programs/places they can go for support and help? And ways for us to pitch in?

          I know everyone understands that moving their crates/seats doesn't address issues of poverty -- are there ways we can help (or a place to donate) so these men have a place to belong?

          Just like we expect these folks to be respectful of the neighborhood, it would be great if those of us with more could direct our energy to also respect the very real barriers they may have, and work to break them down.

          Thanks,
          Erie

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
            Erie, All; thank you for your kind comments and willingness to be involved.

            Community concerns surrounding Lincoln Road have not gone unheard.  As we begin consistent and focused efforts to eliminate the quality of life issues and conditions brought forth, we will need you, your ideas, input and your patience.  Working together, we all have a stake in a positive and productive outcome.  Some believe the best approach is to arrest every violator with a "zero tolerance" approach.  After 31 years experience serving you here in the Nation's Capitol, that approach to social issues just is not appropriate.

            What are Quality of Life and Zero Tolerance Policing?

            The concept of zero tolerance” came out of federal drug enforcement policies of the 1980’s. It refers to a policy of allocating additional law-enforcement resources to areas where some form of crime is said to be endemic and then applying immediate and harsh responses with little or no consideration to individual circumstances.

            The term “quality of life” is thought to have first been used in a policing context in New York City in the early 90s, during the Giuliani administration. It refers to a practice of heavily policing a number of normally non-criminal activities such as congregating and/or drinking in public spaces, as well as minor offenses such as graffiti, public urination, panhandling, littering, and unlicensed street vending in public spaces because, the argument goes, if left unchecked, they will lead to an explosion of serious crime.

            When coupled with the “zero tolerance” approach, this type of policing favors arrests over service and conflict resolution, or in situations where a warning or citation would otherwise be issued. This in turn contributes to soaring numbers of arrests, loss of our officers from their beats for greater periods of time processing arrests, attending court and increased complaints against our Officers.  When combined, these law enforcement practices are often referred to as “order maintenance policing.”

            However, this is a social issue that begs for a long term solution to a long term problem.  MPD cannot arrest the problem away without depleting our community of patrol officers in our Patrol Service Areas.  We will continue to be a visible police presence and sweep the alleys and congregation points daily.

            "It take a village approach" to clean trash and keep the area sanitized, perform mental heath and medical screenings, alcohol and drug abuse education/outreach, employment and vocational training strategies, housing and placement assistance, and enforcement action by MPD.

            The Fifth Police District is a responsible, accessible, able and willing partner.  WE answer your calls, e-mails, text messages and stop when flagged down 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  But we cannot do this alone.  Help us by reaching out to and demanding action from your elected officials, other federal and local governmental agency heads, mental heath and social service centers, drug/alcohol abuse and awareness organizations and seek out and recruit dedicated community volunteers.

            Please, help us help you.  Our points of contact for this initiative are Sergeants Wayne Steinhilber and Marquis Queen.  Both sergeants can be reached on
            202-698-4688.  If you prefer e-mail, Sergeant Steinhilber can be reached at wayne.steinhilber@... and Sergeant Queen can be reached at marquis.queen@...

          • Carol Carter Walker
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013

              Thank you, Assistant Commander Beach, for one of the most lucid and comprehensive explanations I've seen about this issue.

              On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:50 AM, "Elizabeth Lyttleton" > wrote:

[...]

              carolcarterwalker@...
              (202) 636-8138 (H/O)
              (202) 744-3872 (C)
            • Mrgw
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013
                I want to say thank you to MPD-5D for your visibility on North Capitol Street NE between Fla Ave & R streets NE. Your presence is making a difference for this area. Loitering in the  green area adjacent to Lincoln Rd is at  a minimum and pedestrians can safely cross North Capitol St. Vehicles are not running the light nor blocking the box as they usually do. I know you can't sit in this area every day but I appreciate what you're doing.

                Sent from my iPhone
                Mary GW