ATVs in the park

  • frankybanky
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2013
      Good afternoon,
      On Tuesday at about 4:15 pm, there were a group of teens riding ATVs at the Taft rec center. They were riding close to others using the park. It looked very dangerous so I called 911. The dispatcher said the next available unit would respond. I waited 20 minutes but no response. (I usually remain anonomous; I don't want trouble from those kids or the MPD.)

      I walked back near the park at about 5:30, on newton street. Two ATVs raced down the street and through the stop sign. Moments later, an MPD squad car came from the other direction. I flagged down the car and asked the officers to swing by the park.

      The officer in the passenger seat told me it was legal to ride ATVs in the park, and I needed to, "learn to share the park." When I asked about riding the ATVs on the sidewalks and streets around the park, he said, "look, if we turn on our lights, they run, and we can't chase, so our hands are tied."

      My first question is who is responsible for park rules? It seems wildly unsafe to have four wheelers speeding feet from toddlers playing. I would like to discuss amending the Appropriate regulations to limit ATV use to safer areas.

      Second, if MPD doesn't respond to crimes at that park, is there another authority with jurisdiction there? (Park police, etc.). The ATV races are only the latest in the regularly occurring crimes that go on at Taft.

      Finally, are there other issues from preventing MPD action in that park? The dice games and drug dealing go on out in the open for most of the evening- weekends are especially bad. I report crimes when I see them, but the criminal activity is so regular and flagrant that it seems some go element authority should be able to address the issue. If anyone has suggested resources, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

      Frank
    • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2013
        So frustrating at times dealing with the troubles and police.  I feel one way or another about police in DC at times.But keep at it, make the calls.  Cmdr. Solberg is really good in interveining and Chief Lanier, with all she has to deal with, responds also.

        Eckington (NE)

[...]

      • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2013

          The officers answer was definitely not the best.  And, we will address this.  I have also copied Captain Beach on my reply so he can further expand upon my answer.

          March with the DC delegation and join the pre-March rally for DC rights at the August 24th 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Check out marchondc50.dc.gov for full event details.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2013
            Good morning,
            Not sure if my first post was too long or if I just didn't wait long enough, but can anyone offer advice on how/where to report ATVs or other issues in the park?

            Thanks,
            Frank

            Sent from my iPhone
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2013

              Call 911 to report any activity.  You can also send an email to your PSA supervisors.

              Andy Solberg

              Join DDOT on Saturday, September 7th for a celebration on the new 11th Street Bridge commemorating DDOT's decade of transportation advancements and the full opening of the bridge to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians. For more information visit AnacostiaWaterfront.org.