Public drunkenness, open containers, alley as bathroom

  • Elizabeth Lyttleton
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
      Over the last several months, a group of folks has taken to using the
      sidewalk of 1600 block of Lincoln Rd NE (Between Quincy Place and R Street
      NE) as their living room. These people buy singles at the corner liquor
      store an sit on the stoop all day drinking (or worse sometimes, based on
      activity I've observed). While this is a very unfortunate use of public
      space, making it uncomfortable for folks walking by, the lack of facilities
      nearby has also led members of this group to use the alley between R St NE
      and Quincy Pl NE as a public bathroom. We now routinely see/smell human
      urine and excrement in the alley behind our house.

      I have called 911 on this group several times - sometimes asking for
      ambulance (when I see people passed out or super disoriented), sometimes
      for police (when I see drug deals or people using the bathroom in the alley),
      in an attempt to address the problem. But the group just gets larger.

      1) What else can be done from an MPD perspective? I understand that
      loitering is not illegal, but this can't be ok.
      2) Does anybody in the neighborhood know where this group is coming from?
      They did not used to hang out here. I'm wondering what can be done to
      address the issue at the source. Are they receiving services nearby?

      This is becoming untenable for my family. I'm not comfortable with smelly
      drunk people approaching (stumbling towards) my children as we try to go
      for a walk to try to pinch their cheeks.

      Elizabeth
      Unit Block of R St
    • pawkitty48
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
        I agree with the writer.  The folks hanging out on Lincoln Road display the most disgusting behavior I've witnessed from humans.  They're in the pocket park and in two blocks on Lincoln Road between Q & R Streets NE.  They're drinking, drugging, fighting, cursing, and harrassing females who unfortunately walk pass them.  I've lived in this neighborhood for many years and I've never seen folks hanging out in this particular area until approximately 6 months ago.  What prompted this situation to occur and what if anything can MPD do to deter this situation. Their behavior is hostile, unsanitary, and frightening to many of the residents who live in the area.  This loitering is the most extreme unwanted enity I can imagine. There are so many of them loitering all day, every day, and franky, I feel unsafe walking pass the throng myself. Lately, I've had to take an alternate route from my home to go about my business so I will avoid the throng of indivduals on the corner of Quincy Place & Lincoln Road.
        Is 5D personnel aware of how bad this loitering has become in the past few months?

        Mary GW

        In a message dated 8/22/2013 7:49:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, eblyttleton@... writes:

        Over the last several months, a group of folks has taken to using the
        sidewalk of 1600 block of Lincoln Rd NE (Between Quincy Place and R Street
        NE) as their living room. These people buy singles at the corner liquor
        store an sit on the stoop all day drinking (or worse sometimes, based on
        activity I've observed). While this is a very unfortunate use of public, and
[...]

      • Pope, Alexander (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
          Is there a specific time of day when these activities seem to occur?

          Sergeant Alex Pope, III
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Homeland Security Bureau
          Special Operations Division

          "Don't Drink and Drive" and "Click It, or Ticket"

          On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:50 AM, "Elizabeth Lyttleton" <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

[...]

          March with the DC delegation and join the pre-March rally for DC rights at the August 24th 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Check out marchondc50.dc.gov for full event details.

        • Mrgw
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
            SGT Pope these activities occur all day every day starting early am until dark and last night (Aug 22 ) some of them were still there doing all the dirty nasty things they do most of the day.

            Sent from my iPhone
            Mary GW

[...]

          • Beach, Mark (MPD)
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
              Elizabeth, All; this behavior is unacceptable and will not/cannot be tolerated.  Report all observations to 9-1-1 and keep us abreast here on our community ListServ of your observations, feelings and perceptions.  Inform us as well of your observations of our Officers actions in addressing this quality of life issue.

              This area lies on the border of Patrol Service Areas 501 and 502 here within the Fifth Police District.  I have directed our PSA Officials to assign two Officers on Day Watch and Evenings, one from each PSA, to be assigned and directly address this community concern, starting immediately, seven days a week.

              Mark Beach
              Assistant Patrol District Commander
              Metropolitan DC Police Department
              Fifth Police District
              1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
              Washington, DC 20002
              202-345-1313 BeachBerry
              202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
              202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
              202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
              202-727-9099 Command Information Center
              "Commitment to Excellence"

              .

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 25, 2013
                Elizabeth, All; 5D Units assigned to address these quality of life issues have determined so far that the majority of the folks involved in these behaviors are clients of the shelter which are moved out at 7:00 AM.  Our Day Watch Units have begun removing "milk type" crates and old chairs they were using as seats.  We are coordinating with DPW to respond with us to remove debris, junk, trash and to clean up the corresponding alleyways.

                Please keep us posted on areas that need our attention and your continued observations in this area of concern.

                Residents of the Lincoln Road area are asked to partner with us and assist in cleaning/picking debris and trash on public space.  We all have a vested interest in a positive outcome.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 25, 2013
                  Commander Beach,

                  I appreciate how responsive and helpful you and your team are on this list.

                  Since it seems that these people have no home and nowhere to go at these hours, are there programs/places they can go for support and help? And ways for us to pitch in?

                  I know everyone understands that moving their crates/seats doesn't address issues of poverty -- are there ways we can help (or a place to donate) so these men have a place to belong?

                  Just like we expect these folks to be respectful of the neighborhood, it would be great if those of us with more could direct our energy to also respect the very real barriers they may have, and work to break them down.

                  Thanks,
                  Erie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
                    Erie, All; thank you for your kind comments and willingness to be involved.

                    Community concerns surrounding Lincoln Road have not gone unheard.  As we begin consistent and focused efforts to eliminate the quality of life issues and conditions brought forth, we will need you, your ideas, input and your patience.  Working together, we all have a stake in a positive and productive outcome.  Some believe the best approach is to arrest every violator with a "zero tolerance" approach.  After 31 years experience serving you here in the Nation's Capitol, that approach to social issues just is not appropriate.

                    What are Quality of Life and Zero Tolerance Policing?

                    The concept of zero tolerance” came out of federal drug enforcement policies of the 1980’s. It refers to a policy of allocating additional law-enforcement resources to areas where some form of crime is said to be endemic and then applying immediate and harsh responses with little or no consideration to individual circumstances.

                    The term “quality of life” is thought to have first been used in a policing context in New York City in the early 90s, during the Giuliani administration. It refers to a practice of heavily policing a number of normally non-criminal activities such as congregating and/or drinking in public spaces, as well as minor offenses such as graffiti, public urination, panhandling, littering, and unlicensed street vending in public spaces because, the argument goes, if left unchecked, they will lead to an explosion of serious crime.

                    When coupled with the “zero tolerance” approach, this type of policing favors arrests over service and conflict resolution, or in situations where a warning or citation would otherwise be issued. This in turn contributes to soaring numbers of arrests, loss of our officers from their beats for greater periods of time processing arrests, attending court and increased complaints against our Officers.  When combined, these law enforcement practices are often referred to as “order maintenance policing.”

                    However, this is a social issue that begs for a long term solution to a long term problem.  MPD cannot arrest the problem away without depleting our community of patrol officers in our Patrol Service Areas.  We will continue to be a visible police presence and sweep the alleys and congregation points daily.

                    "It take a village approach" to clean trash and keep the area sanitized, perform mental heath and medical screenings, alcohol and drug abuse education/outreach, employment and vocational training strategies, housing and placement assistance, and enforcement action by MPD.

                    The Fifth Police District is a responsible, accessible, able and willing partner.  WE answer your calls, e-mails, text messages and stop when flagged down 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  But we cannot do this alone.  Help us by reaching out to and demanding action from your elected officials, other federal and local governmental agency heads, mental heath and social service centers, drug/alcohol abuse and awareness organizations and seek out and recruit dedicated community volunteers.

                    Please, help us help you.  Our points of contact for this initiative are Sergeants Wayne Steinhilber and Marquis Queen.  Both sergeants can be reached on
                    202-698-4688.  If you prefer e-mail, Sergeant Steinhilber can be reached at wayne.steinhilber@... and Sergeant Queen can be reached at marquis.queen@...

                  • Carol Carter Walker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013

                      Thank you, Assistant Commander Beach, for one of the most lucid and comprehensive explanations I've seen about this issue.

                      On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:50 AM, "Elizabeth Lyttleton" > wrote:

[...]

                      carolcarterwalker@...
                      (202) 636-8138 (H/O)
                      (202) 744-3872 (C)
                    • Mrgw
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013
                        I want to say thank you to MPD-5D for your visibility on North Capitol Street NE between Fla Ave & R streets NE. Your presence is making a difference for this area. Loitering in the  green area adjacent to Lincoln Rd is at  a minimum and pedestrians can safely cross North Capitol St. Vehicles are not running the light nor blocking the box as they usually do. I know you can't sit in this area every day but I appreciate what you're doing.

                        Sent from my iPhone
                        Mary GW