Starburst Plaza

  • Kathy Henderson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2013
      I am pleased to report that the Starburst Plaza remains clean and the usual persons hanging out there are watering the plants regularly. I am glad they are cooperating as I have asked them to and they do not appear to be draining our police resources. The goal is to make this lovely space a true community asset for everyone. We will continue to add plantings to make the space even more enjoyable. If anyone wishes to donate mums or lavender for planting here please let me know. Ideally, perennials planted here will thrive with minimum care once they mature.

      Again, I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to contribute efforts to clean and plant the space.
      Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      khenderson029@...
    • Kathy Henderson
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2015
        Good Morning:

        Surprisingly, someone at the ANC 5D meeting complained about the police presence at the Starburst Plaza. The individual claimed that no one was available to respond to an issue on Neal Street because the officers were on patrol at the Starburst. The Starburst is in PSA 507 and Neal Street is in PSA 506. If he had dialed 911 weren't there enough officers on patrol in PSA 506 to respond?

        My constituents and I appreciate the police presence at the Starburst Plaza, which is making a positive difference. We urge you to stay the course.

        Kathy Henderson, 5D05

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Griffin, Randy (MPD)
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2015

          There are ample officers deployed daily to address calls for service throughout the entire Fifth District.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 19 12:30 PM
            My advocacy has resulted in the fountain being turned on, recent cleanings and increased police presence. I urge you to take advantage of the clean and relaxing conditions by using this public amenity that so many of us here fought hard for. Too often people that prefer a park-like backdrop for
            drug use travel to the Starburst, causing disruption all day. The Department of Transportation is creating a sign that announces the park will close each night at a set hour. We also look forward to planting the tree box spaces at the Starburst Plaza again.

            Again, I urge you to use this lovely public amenity for your enjoyment.

            Kathy Henderson, 5D05
            Sent from my iPhone