National Night Out at the Starburst Plaza: Update

  • Kathy Henderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2013
      Good Evening All:

      I am pleased  to report the planting and cleaning have been done and we are well positioned to have a wonderful event. Terry Bellamy is still working diligently to ensure the Starburst Plaza is fully functioning. He made sure his team got the water turned on in time for this event and now they are working to make sure the sprinklers are fully operational. We discovered while planting yesterday that each tree box contains a sprinkler. We look forward to these sprinklers working as designed and we thank Mr. Bellamy and his dedicated team.

      Safeway has generously donated food; however, we may need more to accommodate everyone. We don't want anyone to leave without eating something from our MPD-manned grill. Neighbors feel free to bring more burgers, hot dogs, vegetables (from your garden?) or your specialty. This is the perfect time to come out and meet your neighbors and dedicated MPD Fifth District officers.

      Finally, I am pleased to report that artist Steven Weitzman will attend this event. Mr. Weitzman is the artist responsible for designing the Starburst Plaza mural and overall design. We are honored Mr. Weitzman will join us; he is the renowned artist that created the Frederick Douglas bronze statue that was dedicated in the US Capitol a few weeks ago. Mr. Weitzman designed  a plaza in downtown Silver Spring and has created public works of art in other parts of the US.

      The Department of Health will conduct free AIDS/HIV screenings and we will offer free condoms to any neighbor that wants them. The theme is safety and we cannot wait to see you there. The location is the intersection of Bladensburg Rd, Benning Rd and H Street NE and the time is 6-9 p.m.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05