Re: [MPD-5D] What to do to deter loitering and clean our parks and school properties

  • Kathy Henderson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
      When you allow trash deposited by the dysfunctional to remain on public space in your midst you allow such persons to define your reality for you. These individuals decide that your community deserves to be trashed and they force you to acquiesce to the presence of trash. Cleaning in this regard is an act of rebellion against dysfunction and an exercise in empowerment. Just as you would not allow anyone to walk into your home and throw trash in your living room, you should not allow anyone to throw trash on your streets.

      Finally, enabling the trash-throwing dysfunctional means turning a blind-eye to their penchant for littering and accepting the trash. We must never accept trash.

      Kathy Henderson,5D05
      khenderson029@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
        Thank you Officer Beach for all your hard work and the work of the MPD-5 officers to keep our neighborhoods safe.

        Be safe and well.

        Stephanie

        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        From: mark.beach@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:50:16 -0400

        I am checking now on it's status.  Thanks again for all your observations and sharing those with us.  Stay safe...

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        From: mark.beach@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:15:14 -0400

        Thanks for this information, Stephanie.. I will pass along the loitering information to our Patrol Service Area officials now and notify Lisa Sutter, Program Manager for Speed Cameras of this fact.  Is the camera lying down on the ground or taken away altogether?

        From: mark.beach@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:39:58 -0400

        We would request that you do not place yourself in harm's way attempting to disperse a crowd possibly consuming alcohol/drugs and disturbing the peace and negatively effecting your quality of life.  Call 9-1-1 and accurately describe what you see, hear and paint a portrait of what acts or actions this crowd/groups engaged in that offends you or others.  If you see or smell alcohol/drugs provide us that information as well.

        We would ask your assistance in cleaning up after others that deposit trash in and around the park and Perry Street Prep School property.

        With this approach, we hope to gain compliance in reducing, with the goal of eliminating, these actions that negatively effect our community.  Our goal at 5D is to educate, warn, deter and hopefully not effect arrests to gain compliance.

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        DCPS starts up again on August 26th! Enroll your student today by submitting completed forms to your child's school.

        Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enrollHave questions? E-mail enroll@...

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
          Captain Beach:

          As an unapologetic adherent to the Broken Windows Theory I think your request to citizens is reasonable and may be viewed as a call to partnership with police. We can do our part to help promote public safety and supplementing the efforts of DPW is in our best interests. I understand that citizens expect DPW personnel to step up and clean up; however, during the interim, it is advisable to supplement that effort. We cannot just look at trash waiting for someone else to remove it.

          When New York began aggressively scrubbing the graffiti "tags" off of train cars as soon as the "artists" created them the city bolstered the theory and improved public safety. People that litter should never be allowed to prevail; they do when you leave their trash on public space.

          Finally, we will clean the Starburst again and plant flowers on Sunday, underscoring a win for our community and a clear partnership with police.
          Kathy Henderson
          khenderson029@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
            Hi, I thought the same way at first. I was cleaning up every morning after all night drinking and littering in front of my apartment on Simms Place. I felt I was just giving them a clean place to do it all over again. I was wrong. After a while, they moved. They didn't like it that their littering was being noticed and that the people who lived here cleaned up after them. I don't have to clean up as much anymore. If I never started, they would still be out there. It's worth a shot is what I'm saying.