Re: [MPD-5D] What to do to deter loitering and clean our parks and school properties

  • Dpt
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
      Am I reading this right?

      "We would ask your assistance in cleaning up after others that deposit trash in and around the park and Perry Street Prep School property."

      So you're asking citizens to clean up after those loitering and partying 'til 3am?   Sounds like enabling the behavior if you ask me.

      On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:39 AM, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

      We would ask your assistance in cleaning up after others that deposit trash in and around the park and Perry Street Prep School property.
    • Carol Carter Walker
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013

        What about a combined effort by the Department of Public Works and the MPD?  I am somewhat troubled by asking citizens to routinely do what their tax dollars are supposed to handle.  Are there no laws against littering?  Rather than loitering?  It's the result of the loitering that's problematic.

        From: mark.beach@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:39:58 -0400

        We would request that you do not place yourself in harm's way attempting to disperse a crowd possibly consuming alcohol/drugs and disturbing the peace and negatively effecting your quality of life. Call 9-1-1 and accurately describe what you see, hear and
        paint a portrait of what acts or actions this crowd/groups engaged in that offends you or others. If you see or smell alcohol/drugs provide us that information as well.

        We would ask your assistance in cleaning up after others that deposit trash in and around the park and Perry Street Prep School property.

        With this approach, we hope to gain compliance in reducing, with the goal of eliminating, these actions that negatively effect our community. Our goal at 5D is to educate, warn, deter and hopefully not effect arrests to gain compliance.

        Mark Beach

        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department

        Fifth Police District

        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE

        Washington, DC 20002

        202-345-1313 BeachBerry

        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations

        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander

        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex

        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This
        email should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This
        e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it
        from your files if you are not the intended recipient.

        DCPS starts up again on August 26th!
        Enroll your student today by
        submitting completed forms to your child's
        school.
        Need an enrollment
        form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enroll. Have
        questions? E-mail enroll@....

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
          Thanks for this information, Stephanie.. I will pass along the loitering information to our Patrol Service Area officials now and notify Lisa Sutter, Program Manager for Speed Cameras of this fact.  Is the camera lying down on the ground or taken away altogether?

[...]

        • Gigi Ransom
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
            I believe that our recreation centers and the grounds have specific hours of operations which are posted.  I know that federal parks do, "Closed at Dusk".  This should apply to our school properties, especially for these types of situations that will enable the police to do their job properly with enforcement.

            Albrette "Gigi" Ransom

[...]

          • Stephanie A. Robinson
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
              Last weekend it was laying on the ground, then removed, then back.

              As of this morning around 6:30 a.m. it was GONE-- take away!

              Stephanie

              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

              First, thank you for all that you do to keep our neighborhoods safe.

              Second, I live by the Taft Recreation Center and I've noticed a few posts regarding the unwanted loitering that happens around the park area. These individuals congregate at dusk and usually stick around until 3AM. Mostly men (although some females do engage), these individuals drink and leave large amounts of trash in the park and on the Perry Street Prep School property.

              Understanding DC does not have a loitering law, what can residents do to deter the loitering the goes on at this park? Is calling the police when the crowd gets rowdy our only solution?

            • Beach, Mark (MPD)
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                I am checking now on it's status.  Thanks again for all your observations and sharing those with us.  Stay safe...

                To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                First, thank you for all that you do to keep our neighborhoods safe.

                Second, I live by the Taft Recreation Center and I've noticed a few posts regarding the unwanted loitering that happens around the park area. These individuals congregate at dusk and usually stick around until 3AM. Mostly men (although some females do engage), these individuals drink and leave large amounts of trash in the park and on the Perry Street Prep School property.

                Understanding DC does not have a loitering law, what can residents do to deter the loitering the goes on at this park? Is calling the police when the crowd gets rowdy our only solution?

              • Matt Ernest

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                    Let me attempt to put this issue to rest:

                    Litter and Graffiti Prevention

                    Litter and graffiti are public nuisances and cost the District and its residents more than just money. Litter diminishes the beauty of the nation’s capital and piles of litter attract rats and other pests. Trash thrown or blown from trucks and cars can lead to injuries, even death, as motorists swerve to avoid it.

                    Graffiti tarnishes the appearance of our neighborhoods. Gang-related graffiti can threaten violence or identify turf boundaries.  For these services, contact DPW at:

                    Contact Email:
                    Contact Phone: (202) 737-4404
                    Contact Fax: (202) 671-0642
                    Contact TTY: (202) 673-6833
                    Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:15 am - 4:45 pm
                    2000 14th Street, NW
                    Washington, DC 20009

                    I merely asked that in the spirit of being a good citizen and having civic pride that should you observed trash or debris in our community, picking it up and discarding it.

                    Should you decide that cleaning up after others is better left to the District of Columbia Government, please contact DPW.

                    MPD will educate and enforce littering and all other quality of life issues observed.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                      When you allow trash deposited by the dysfunctional to remain on public space in your midst you allow such persons to define your reality for you. These individuals decide that your community deserves to be trashed and they force you to acquiesce to the presence of trash. Cleaning in this regard is an act of rebellion against dysfunction and an exercise in empowerment. Just as you would not allow anyone to walk into your home and throw trash in your living room, you should not allow anyone to throw trash on your streets.

                      Finally, enabling the trash-throwing dysfunctional means turning a blind-eye to their penchant for littering and accepting the trash. We must never accept trash.

                      Kathy Henderson,5D05
                      khenderson029@...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                        Thank you Officer Beach for all your hard work and the work of the MPD-5 officers to keep our neighborhoods safe.

                        Be safe and well.

                        Stephanie

                        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                          Captain Beach:

                          As an unapologetic adherent to the Broken Windows Theory I think your request to citizens is reasonable and may be viewed as a call to partnership with police. We can do our part to help promote public safety and supplementing the efforts of DPW is in our best interests. I understand that citizens expect DPW personnel to step up and clean up; however, during the interim, it is advisable to supplement that effort. We cannot just look at trash waiting for someone else to remove it.

                          When New York began aggressively scrubbing the graffiti "tags" off of train cars as soon as the "artists" created them the city bolstered the theory and improved public safety. People that litter should never be allowed to prevail; they do when you leave their trash on public space.

                          Finally, we will clean the Starburst again and plant flowers on Sunday, underscoring a win for our community and a clear partnership with police.
                          Kathy Henderson
                          khenderson029@...

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
                            Hi, I thought the same way at first. I was cleaning up every morning after all night drinking and littering in front of my apartment on Simms Place. I felt I was just giving them a clean place to do it all over again. I was wrong. After a while, they moved. They didn't like it that their littering was being noticed and that the people who lived here cleaned up after them. I don't have to clean up as much anymore. If I never started, they would still be out there. It's worth a shot is what I'm saying.