Re: Starburst Plaza

  • imgoph
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
      Here's hoping that Matt Ashburn's diligent efforts to get the city to turn on the fountain in the park comes to fruition as well!

      Geoff Hatchard

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to all of you that assisted in the beautification efforts at Starburst Plaza. Fifth District Sergeants Duncan Bedlion and Joseph Stimmell, who are assigned to day watch, will be our points of contact for education and enforcement efforts concerning the consumption of alcohol and any other violations of the DC Code in and around Starburst Plaza . They will also focus on all quality of life concerns that they observe or that is brought forth by active, involved and committed citizens like yourselves.
      >
      > We look forward to being an active partner in the beautification efforts in and around Starburst Plaza and other parks and common areas throughout the Fifth Police District.
      >
      > Sergeants Bedlion and Stimmell can both be reached on 202-698-4688. If you prefer e-mail, Sergeant Bedlion is at duncan.bedlion@...<mailto:duncan.bedlion@...> and
      > Sergeant Stimmell is at joseph.stimmell@...<mailto:joseph.stimmell@...>.
      >
      > Mark Beach
      > Assistant Patrol District Commander
      > Metropolitan DC Police Department
      > Fifth Police District
      > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
      > Washington, DC 20002
      > 202-345-1313 BeachBerry
      > 202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
      > 202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
      > 202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
      > 202-727-9099 Command Information Center
      > "Commitment to Excellence"
      >
      > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.
      >

      > DCPS starts up again on August 26th! Enroll your student today by submitting completed forms to your child's school.
      > Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enroll<http://dcps.dc.gov/enroll>. Have questions? E-mail enroll@...<mailto:enroll@...>.
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
        Wendy, the community concerns surrounding Starburst Plaza have not gone unheard.  We have been taking enforcement action in the Plaza most days.  Enforcement action is effecting arrests for possession of open containers of alcohol and single sales of cigarettes.  We made a singles sale arrest five minutes ago and regularly make arrests for open alcohol containers.

        However, this is a social issue that begs for a long term solution to a long term problem.  MPD cannot arrest the problem away without depleting our community of patrol officers in our busiest Patrol Service Areas.  We will continue to be a presence and sweep the Plaza regularly.

        It's gonna take a village approach to clean trash and keep the area sanitized, perform mental heath and medical screenings, alcohol and drug abuse education/outreach, employment and vocational training strategies, housing and placement assistance, and enforcement action by MPD.

        The Fifth Police District is a responsible, accessible, able and willing partner.  WE answer your calls, e-mails, text messages and stop when flagged down 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  But we cannot do this alone.  Help us by reaching out to and demanding action from your elected officials, other federal and local governmental agency heads, mental heath and social service centers, drug/alcohol abuse and awareness organizations and seek out and recruit dedicated community volunteers.

        Please, help us help you.  Our points of contact are Sergeants Bedlion and Stimmell.  Both sergeants can both be reached on 202-698-4688.  If you prefer e-mail, Sergeant Bedlion is at duncan.bedlion@... and Sergeant Stimmell is at joseph.stimmell@....

        Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enrollHave questions? E-mail enroll@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
          I am pleased to report that the Starburst Plaza remains clean and the usual persons hanging out there are watering the plants regularly. I am glad they are cooperating as I have asked them to and they do not appear to be draining our police resources. The goal is to make this lovely space a true community asset for everyone. We will continue to add plantings to make the space even more enjoyable. If anyone wishes to donate mums or lavender for planting here please let me know. Ideally, perennials planted here will thrive with minimum care once they mature.

          Again, I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to contribute efforts to clean and plant the space.
          Kathy Henderson, 5D05
          khenderson029@...