Re: Your Email (Ann)

  • Yvonne Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2005
      Ann, Thank you for the email. "We" (Community and Police) are making
      history with the development of this line of communication (police
      listserv). If you did not catch the Washington Post article about our
      success, the link is below. The Policing for Prevention Unit of the
      Metropolitan Police Department has every intention of replacing me.
      I will be here through Friday, April 1st. It has been a pleasure
      working in this District, because there are so many very active and
      involved resident leaders here, which I think is critical to the
      success of a healthy community. I am inspired by the leadership in
      this Ward. I hope to meet you tomorrow night at the Commander's
      Citizen Advisory Council Mtg. I'll have some great handouts to
      distribute.

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30808-2005Mar13.html

      Yvonne Smith
      202.576.8871

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "ward5rez_ar" <ward5rez_ar@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you for this information, Ms Smith! I want you to know that
      > really like being able to reach out and touch the police over the
      > computer it is a great help. I just joined this site but we see
      many
      > of your postings on our local community Yahoo groups online. My
      > neighbor tells me that you are leaving us. Please tell us that you
      > will have a replacement who can continue this effort. We also
      > received the story about you in last weeks' Washington Post,
      > congratulations, Yvonne. We will miss you but hopefully we will
      not
      > miss the kind of information you have shared with this community.
      >

      > Ann
      >
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Smith, Yvonne \(MPD\)"
      > <yvonne.smith@d...> wrote:
      > > MPDC To Issue Speeding Tickets from Four New Photo Radar Cameras
      > Beginning March 21
      > > Cameras capture more than 52,000 aggressive speeding events since
      > February 18
      > >
      > > Speeders, beware. Following a month of warning notices only, the
      > Metropolitan Police Department begins issuing tickets on Monday,
      > March 21, to motorists caught speeding aggressively by four new
      > stationary photo radar cameras located in Northeast and Northwest
      DC.

      > > The speeding reduction cameras are situated in the 4700 block of
      > MacArthur Boulevard, NW; the 5400 block of 16th Street, NW; the 100
      > block of Michigan Avenue, NE; and the 2800 block of Benning Road,
      NE.
      > The cameras were activated on February 18, but have been generating
      > only warnings as part of a Police Department effort to educate DC-
      > area motorists about the dangers of speeding and the Department's
      > crackdown on this dangerous behavior using photo radar technology.
      > >
      > > Beginning March 21, 2005, aggressive speeders caught by the new
      > stationary cameras will receive Notices of Infraction in the mail.
      > While photo-enforced violations do not carry points in the
      District,
      > the fines for speeding
      > <http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/info/traffic/speedlaws.shtm> range up to
      > $200 per violation.
      > >
      > > During the first four weeks of operation, the four photo radar
      > units detected more than 52,000 vehicles traveling above the
      > threshold speed established for the program. That is an average of
      > about 1,900 aggressive speeding events a day. All of the events
      > captured by the cameras are reviewed and certified by a
      Metropolitan
      > Police officer before warning notices or tickets are mailed, and
      not
      > every event results in a notice being issued.
      > >
      > > "The initial numbers certainly confirm that aggressive speeding
      is
      > a serious problem in these four communities," said Chief of Police
      > Charles H. Ramsey. "However, our experience with other photo radar
      > locations, both mobile and stationary, is that the number of
      > violations will decline - and decline sharply - in a very short
      > period of time. That is the good news for our motorists,
      pedestrians,
      > bicyclists and other residents," the Chief added.
      > >
      > > In February 2004, the District became the first jurisdiction in
      > North America to install a stationary photo radar speeding
      reduction
      > camera, located in the 600 block of Florida Avenue, NE. The MPDC
      has
      > operated a fleet of mobile photo radar vehicles, now totaling
      eight,
      > since the summer of 2001.
      > >
      > > The technology has contributed to dramatic reductions in speeding
      > <http://mpdc.dc.gov/info/traffic/speedresults_text.shtm> in the
      > photo radar enforcement zones. The percentage of motorists speeding
      > aggressively has fallen from more than 30 percent at the beginning
      of
      > the program, to just over 3 percent in recent months. In addition,
      > the average speed of all vehicles traveling in photo radar zones
      has
      > fallen sharply since the start of the program. The MPDC reported
      that
      > speeding-related traffic fatalities in DC have also declined since
      > the program began - from 38 in 2001 to 17 in 2004, a reduction of
      55
      > percent. The total number of traffic fatalities last year, 45,
      > represented an 18-year low for the District.
      > >
      > > DC's photo radar system uses the same basic Doppler principle as
      > traditional radar, but transmits a much narrower radar beam across
      > the road, thus eliminating the chances of tracking two vehicles at
      > once. When a vehicle enters the radar beam at an excessive speed,
      the
      > radar unit signals the camera, which photographs the rear tag of
      the
      > vehicle.
      > >
      > > The photographs are reviewed and verified by an MPDC officer.
      Based

      http://www.mpdc.dc.gov