Re: [MPD-5D] Burglary this morning in Trinidad

  • Stephanie A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
      Great job MPD-5, and great community looking out for one another.

      Fantastic they got him.

      Stephanie "The One"

      "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." H.D

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 23, 2013, at 2:42 PM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      Thanks Matt, and thanks for the good advice. If more people took the time to get to know their neighbors, and called 911 whenever they saw something they found suspicious, I believe crime would decrease.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 23, 2013, at 2:30 PM, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...> wrote:

      A man hopped my back fence this morning in the 1400 block of Morse St NE.  He was spotted by a neighbor, who immediately called me.  I called 911 immediately, and MPD responded soon after in full force- about a half-dozen cruisers with dedicated officers and a helicopter providing support overhead.

      As the officers approached the house, the suspect opened the front door to escape and promptly shut it in an officer's face, and MPD captured him soon after.

      Thanks very much to MPD for their hard work getting this guy locked up.  I'm told he will be charged with unlawful entry and destruction of property (not burglary).

      Here are a few notes for others:

      -Know you neighbors.  I'm proud to live in Trinidad, where we have a strong sense of community and look out for each other.  My neighbor knew something wasn't right, so she called me.

      -According to officers on the scene, this sort of burglary (well, non-burglary) occurred elsewhere in the community recently:  Resident leaves home for work, burglar comes in from back alley soon after.

      -If you see something out of place, call 911.  It's better to err on the side of caution, and police resources are allocated based on demand.

      Thanks,

      Matt

      Learn about the Districtx2019;s Parks & Recreation Master Plan at www.playdc.org.
      Take a SURVEY to help shape the next 10 years of investments in the DC park system.

    • Vonetta Dumas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
        Matt,

        I am so happy that you have that support on your block I know that makes you feel good in times like these.

        Commander I couldn't agree more.

        Great job 5D...  We appreciate your hard work and dedication to meeting the needs of the community in our efforts to support you in making your jobs easier to decrease crime.

        Commissioner Vonetta Dumas,
        ANC 5D02.

        Please excuse any misspellings/ odd words. My iPhone thinks it is smarter than I am.

[...]

      • ijshere
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
          CMDR Soberg,

          I wonder if there's any connection to the burglary of our house on the 2000 block of 2nd St NE last week. The burgalar kicked in our back door.

          Thanks, Ian on 2nd ST

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
            Ian,

            I am sorry to hear that your home was burglarized.

            There dos not appear to be a connection to yesterday's crime, though we are looking at all our recent burglaries to see if there is a pattern.

            Andy Solberg

            DCPS starts up again on August 26th! Enroll your student today by submitting completed forms to your child's school.

            Need an enrollment form? Visit dcps.dc.gov/enrollHave questions? E-mail enroll@...