Re: 5D Police Lack of Response

  • brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 4:45 AM
      That's exactly right, Derrick.

      Police service requirements range from the earth-shaking (literally, a few years ago) to the mundane. MPD is tasked with servicing all legitimate requests for police service in DC. It would be a violation of MPD's Code of Ethics to do otherwise.

      Comparing the importance of one crime to another in order to diminish a request or a complainant has no place on this MPD listserv-- nor in any other public forum. Indeed, if that is done by any MPD sworn member, that too, would be a violation of MPD's Code of Ethics.

      Commander Solberg and Commissioner Henderson made that point yesterday involving a different incident. So let's not counsel or request MPD members, whether command officers or otherwise, to do any of that.

      It is good that Captain Kane and Commander Solberg are addressing Toni's issue. Some of the rest of us have alley crime issues as well. As long as MPD is mindful of DC's feral cats (neutered and ear-tipped) patrolling for 4-legged vector perps, all MPD alley/ public space patrolling is important.

      brian/
      504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Derrick Nelson wrote:

      Individuals that don't respect such simple courtesies as parking regulations may very well not respect other laws while they're in town.  In addition, assuming the cars were indeed illegally parked, the lack of action by the responding police officers sends a message that certain infractions will be tolerated, which can lead to a slippery slope of more blatant disregard for the rules.  The lack of action may also create apathy among neighborhood residents who feel the police are ineffective so why bother calling for anything at all.

      On Jul 11, 2013, at 11:01 PM, Dpt wrote:

      Please. I feel MPD has much more important issues to deal with than parking on alleyways.

      Bryan S Williams
      Doctor of Physical Therapy

      On Jul 11, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Toni <jumpcator1@...> wrote:

      Commander Solberg,
      Wanted to let you know that I have called MPD 3 times beginning at 7:45 this evening because of illegal parking in the alley way in the 3100 block of Channing Street NE. On each occasion, police cruised through without ticketing or even requiring that the cars be moved. I don't understand. We were told by Lt. Hughes to call and we did our part. Why didn't the Officers do theirs??? The cars have MD tags and clearly the drivers have no regard for the rules set forth as they are still loitering on our park. This is very frustrating.

      Looking for answers

      Sent from my iPhone