Fw: Public Safety in ANC 5D

  • khenderson029
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2013

      From: khenderson029@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 00:01:38
      To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; <ward5@yahoogroups.com>; <crm_112@...>; <khenderson029@...>
      Subject: Public Safety in ANC 5D

      Earlier today I met with Captain Wright to discuss public safety issues within the Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 5D area. The meeting was quite productive; I was impressed with Captain Wright's knowledge of our challenges and commitment to addressing our concerns. I was also impressed by the coordination between Captain Wright and Captain Morgan Kane who is assigned to Patrol Service Area (PSA) 502. Typically,the same individuals that commit crimes in my community also commit crimes in PSA 502; it is important to plan policing strategies accordingly. I feel confident this dynamic duo have the skills and commitment to improve our public safety.

      My meeting with Captain Wright ended with a comprehensive tour of Carver and Langston Terrace, Trinidad and Ivy City. I was absolutely thrilled to see the heavy police presence, which was evident on practically every street we drove along. Areas that are usual problem spots like Simms Place, Mt. Olivet Rd, Bladensburg Rd and 21st Street, to name a few were PEACEFUL. That is impressive.

      Finally, I am excited about the Summer Crime Initiative because the diligent policing efforts are fortified by inter agency support; sanitation and other enforcement efforts will serve to make our public safety gains long-lasting. This is truly welcome news. I am glad I had the opportunity to meet with Captain Wright and to see firsthand that the tide is turning in our favor; our public safety is definitely improving and I love it!

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      Chairperson, ANC 5D
    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2013
        On behalf of Commander Solberg and the brave men and women of the Fifth Police District, I want to thank you for your kind comments and keen observations. Since the arrival of both Captains Wright and Kane, there has been a profound sense of direction and purpose on crime, crime conditions and the fear of crime. This synergy has been pushed down to all levels of this Command and we are operating and deploying with specific, measureable weekly goals and objectives in every Patrol Service Area and specialized unit. Our crime reporting numbers are trending downward and based upon the feedback we receive here in the ListServ, in community meetings, in separate e-mails, telephone calls and while out and about in our community, you see us improving our visibility and approachability, you are working and sharing with us, vast amounts of information and most importantly, you see us making a difference on crime, crime conditions and incidents/events that effect our quality of life.

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002

        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
        Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov to find a site near you.