RE: [MPD-5D] Fireworks tonight

  • Daniel Chapman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5 12:21 AM
      Amen, Josh.

      CC: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      From: joshuaculling@...
      Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 22:50:43 -0400
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Fireworks tonight

      Every time I see an officer drive past a neighborhood fireworks show, my heart flutters and I thank God that I live in a free and patriotic America. Thank you MPD for focusing on things that are important. Maybe the anti fireworks crowd should join the Canadian Mounted Police list serv instead.

      Eagle-Flag-Fireworks.jpg

      Josh Culling
      cell: 202.510.3919

      Pardon brevity - currently mobile.

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Dpt <bryanswilliamsdpt@...> wrote:

      I feel compelled to write after seeing a complete disregard for the directive outlined in this email. On two occasions I witnessed MPD slowly drive past neighborhood fireworks displays and not do a single thing. These were airborne projectiles and have been non stop at 3rd and V st NE since 7pm.
      Why send an email to the list serve if nothing was going to be done to curb these firework displays.
      Frankly, it's not of great concern to me, but as the hour gets late I wonder how much longer the bombardment will continue.

      Bryan S Williams
      Doctor of Physical Therapy

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 12:09 PM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      All,

      Because we have received calls and messages from a lot of you, here at 5D we are telling all our officers to shut down any fireworks display tonight that has any sort of illegal fireworks.  We have gotten many, many complaints from the community about these large, noisy, messy, and potentially dangerous fireworks, and we will be out tonight to shut down as many as possible.

      Please remember that almost all types of fireworks are illegal, and the mere possession of them subjects one to the possibility of fines and arrest.  For general purposes, illegal fireworks are any that explode, move, shoot a flame of more than 12 feet, or “any device that the Fire Marshall considers to be dangerous to the safety of persons or property.”

      Thank you,

      Andy Solberg

      Commander, 5D

      With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
      Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov to find a site near you.

    • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5 7:18 AM
        I was noticing, wow, what a huge difference compared to 7, 8 even 9 years ago. The fire works around here was so impressive, you didn't even need to go the National Mall to see the national fireworks display. The pop pop did go late, which has in the past, so it purturbed me a bit since I do get up very early for work than usual jobs do.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5 4:53 PM
          Since about 3:00 pm today (Friday), kids have been lighting firecrackers and bottle rockets outside the front doors of the Harry Thomas Rec Center. I called 911, but it doesn't seem to do any good. They can keep watch in both directions on Lincoln Rd and down the unit block of S Street, so they just go into the rec center if they see a police car. What's really disturbing is that the rec center staff must know they are lighting fireworks right outside the front door, but they allow it to go on for hours without stopping it. It's a group of black teenagers, mostly male, and they've been doing this on and off for at least 5 hours.