Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Fireworks tonight

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
      Thanks for your words of encouragement and support, sir. I am glad you saw a difference tonight. The officers and supervisors were really working on this effort to control the fireworks displays.

      Andy Solberg

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:05 AM, "b_on_t" <b_on_t@...> wrote:

      Thanks, CDR. My wife and I witnessed an amateur illegal fireworks display get shut down tonight and she commented that there was quite a police presence out tonight after a late trip to the grocery store. And while there are certainly still some groups out there tonight that have clearly invested in stuff that you can't buy in the little thrown-together shacks on Rhode Island Ave, it's a far cry from what it used to be like around here on the 4th of July :)

      When we first moved here seven years ago from another part of D.C., we were not prepared for how loud (and, I must confess, impressive) some of these neighborhood displays were and how late into the evening/early morning they went. We were also surprised (and a little miffed) at how much debris turned up in our yard.

      Tonight, except for the occasional pop, I'm not hearing much here in my corner of 501. Only a few years ago, things would just be getting started around this time :)

      Thanks to all the officers who are working on a day most of us get to take off!

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > Because we have received calls and messages from a lot of you, here at 5D we are telling all our officers to shut down any fireworks display tonight that has any sort of illegal fireworks. We have gotten many, many complaints from the community about these large, noisy, messy, and potentially dangerous fireworks, and we will be out tonight to shut down as many as possible.
      >
      > Please remember that almost all types of fireworks are illegal, and the mere possession of them subjects one to the possibility of fines and arrest. For general purposes, illegal fireworks are any that explode, move, shoot a flame of more than 12 feet, or "any device that the Fire Marshall considers to be dangerous to the safety of persons or property."
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Andy Solberg
      > Commander, 5D
      >
      > With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program<http://www.dchunger.org/fedfoodprogs/summer/summer_meal_sites.htm>, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
      > Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov<http://onecityyouth.dc.gov/> to find a site near you.

      With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
      Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov to find a site near you.

    • Daniel Chapman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
        Amen, Josh.

        CC: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        From: joshuaculling@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 22:50:43 -0400
        Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Fireworks tonight

        Every time I see an officer drive past a neighborhood fireworks show, my heart flutters and I thank God that I live in a free and patriotic America. Thank you MPD for focusing on things that are important. Maybe the anti fireworks crowd should join the Canadian Mounted Police list serv instead.

        Eagle-Flag-Fireworks.jpg

        Josh Culling
        cell: 202.510.3919

        Pardon brevity - currently mobile.

        On Jul 4, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Dpt <bryanswilliamsdpt@...> wrote:

        I feel compelled to write after seeing a complete disregard for the directive outlined in this email. On two occasions I witnessed MPD slowly drive past neighborhood fireworks displays and not do a single thing. These were airborne projectiles and have been non stop at 3rd and V st NE since 7pm.
        Why send an email to the list serve if nothing was going to be done to curb these firework displays.
        Frankly, it's not of great concern to me, but as the hour gets late I wonder how much longer the bombardment will continue.

        Bryan S Williams
        Doctor of Physical Therapy

      • eckingtonwashdc@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
          I was noticing, wow, what a huge difference compared to 7, 8 even 9 years ago. The fire works around here was so impressive, you didn't even need to go the National Mall to see the national fireworks display. The pop pop did go late, which has in the past, so it purturbed me a bit since I do get up very early for work than usual jobs do.

          --- In mailto:MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

          > All,
          >
          > Because we have received calls and messages from a lot of you, here at 5D we are telling all our officers to shut down any fireworks display tonight that has any sort of illegal fireworks. We have gotten many, many complaints from the community about these large, noisy, messy, and potentially dangerous fireworks, and we will be out tonight to shut down as many as possible.
          >
          > Please remember that almost all types of fireworks are illegal, and the mere possession of them subjects one to the possibility of fines and arrest. For general purposes, illegal fireworks are any that explode, move, shoot a flame of more than 12 feet, or "any device that the Fire Marshall considers to be dangerous to the safety of persons or property."
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Andy Solberg
          > Commander, 5D
          >
          > With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program<http://www.dchunger.org/fedfoodprogs/summer/summer_meal_sites.htm>, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
          > Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov<http://onecityyouth.dc.gov/> to find a site near you.

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
            Since about 3:00 pm today (Friday), kids have been lighting firecrackers and bottle rockets outside the front doors of the Harry Thomas Rec Center. I called 911, but it doesn't seem to do any good. They can keep watch in both directions on Lincoln Rd and down the unit block of S Street, so they just go into the rec center if they see a police car. What's really disturbing is that the rec center staff must know they are lighting fireworks right outside the front door, but they allow it to go on for hours without stopping it. It's a group of black teenagers, mostly male, and they've been doing this on and off for at least 5 hours.