Re: [MPD-5D] Starburst Intersection Park

  • khenderson029
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
      Thanks Mr. Caddell for being a good neighbor. The Starburst Plaza is indeed part of the Summer Crime initiative. We look forward to reclaiming the space; our community fought hard to implement this project and we will not concede it to disorderly persons engaging in unlawful behavior. Stay tuned for unfolding developments.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

      From: Jason Caddell <jasoncaddell@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:27:20 -0400
      To: mpd-5d<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Starburst Intersection Park

      Dear 5D,

      On my drive home late last night, I passed the Starburst Intersection Park at Bladensburg Road and Benning Road (at the tip of Hechinger Mall).

      For the first time in many months, it was empty and quiet.

      I don't usually get 'overjoyed' about anything, but last night I was so overjoyed that I approached several 5D officers posted in the CVS parking lot across the street and thanked them personally.

      The loitering, littering, and drug dealing in this park has been out of control for a great while. It is a blight on Carver Terrace, where I live, and other nearby communities. It was a relief to see it quiet and clean.

      How does the activity in this park fit into the Summer Crime Initiative? Will 5D officers continue to police the park and enforce drug dealing and loitering laws? Or should local citizens expect the park to refill with trash, shirtless drunks, and daily hand-to-hands?

      Is the corner of 19th and Benning next?

      Jason

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
        Thanks for the good report, Jason. We are working hard to clean up the Bladensburg Road corridor, and yes, we will stay focused on it.

        Andy Solberg

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:41 PM, "Jason Caddell" <jasoncaddell@...> wrote:

[...]

        With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Kids and Teens Eat For Free at schools, parks, and community organizations all summer long!
        Call 311, text 202-656-5EAT, or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov to find a site near you.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          Thank you for your positive encouragement, Commissioner Henderson.

          Andy Solberg

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
            My pleasure!