ACTING CHIEF CATHY LANIER TESTIFIES BEFORE COUNCIL FOR CONFIRMATION

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2007
      Good Morning 5D Community,

      Friday, Cathy L. Lanier testified before DC Council to ask for
      consideration of my appointment as Chief of Police of the Metropolitan
      Police Department. Approximately 60 people signed up to offer testimony
      at a hearing of the council's Public Safety and Judiciary Committee,
      before Lanier spoke and answered the Councilmember's' questions.
      "It is a great honor to be nominated as Chief of Police, and a
      significant responsibility that I take very seriously," said Lanier.
      She shared her vision for her future of the MPDC, as a well-staffed,
      well-trained and well-equipped department that is responsive to the
      needs of the community. Stressing the importance of Customized Community
      Policing, Lanier told the council members and the community that more
      police will be seen in DC neighborhoods, working smarter, and focusing
      on community priorities. One of her other key priorities is to improve
      the Department's effectiveness in reducing crime and the fear of
      crime in DC by taking a more strategic approach to crime prevention and
      crime fighting, using an analytical approach that includes crime
      prediction modeling and strategic deployments of our officers and
      resources. Another important component of her strategy will involve a
      strong focus on youth, creating collaborative partnerships and taking a
      more holistic approach to reducing youth violence and keeping youth
      safe. She will also continue to build on the fine work of the members,
      striving to increase the department's performance and
      professionalism. The Council will consider all the testimonies
      presented to them and a final decision on Lanier's confirmation is
      anticipated in early April 2007. Office of Corporate Communications

      Read Acting Chief Lanier's complete testimony at:
      http://newsroom.dc.gov/show.aspx/agency/mpdc/section/4/release/10769/yea\
      r/2007