Appropriate work hours for utilities?

  • Eliza Auckerman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2013

      Are there any city regulations governing appropriate hours for nonemergency utility work?

      Our front yard is technically city property, with our official property line beginning at the facade of the house. This evening there are Verizon contractors working in a utility access point in the yard directly under my bedroom window. The contractors state they will be performing work 24 hours a day over the next 72 hours, at a minimum.

      Knowing the restrictions on construction, this seems unreasonable. Additionally, we recieved no notice from Verizon that this work would occur.

      I apologize if this listserv is not the best place to ask for this information, but given the limited information I have been able to glean from Verizon, it is the best resource I know.

      Thank you,
      Eliza
      Unit Block O St NW

    • Steven Conn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
        I think construction issues would be best addressed by DCRA. From their website:

        Legal Construction Hours

        Construction is allowed Monday through Saturday from 7 am to 7 pm without any special permits. Customers must apply for an after-hours permit to work beyond these legal construction hours. If you believe work is being done after legal hours without permit, please report it to DCRA.

        You can report illegal construction or violation of noise ordinances by visiting the DCRA website. Here is the specific link: http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA/Inspections/Report+Illegal+Construction