Dispatchers

  • arodeojock@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
      Commander Groomes,

      I am becoming more and more concerned with the dispatchers that are the front line when making calls to 311 and 911. I didn't realize until the Ward 5 CAC meeting recently that they are NOT MPD Officers. They are consistently rude and unhelpful (as documented on the several listservs I subscribe to and my own experience). They consistently give incorrect information or lie intentionally (again, documented). The result is frustrated and annoyed citizens that believe that the police do not want to assist them.

      I'd like to suggest to you, the Chief, and the Mayor that one of two things happen:

      Option 1: Have these dispatchers make a point of letting EVERY caller know that they are NOT MPD Officers. The dispatchers should be instructed to NEVER make judgment calls, give their opinions on possible MPD actions, or tell a caller that they cannot help him/her.

      Option 2: Staff the dispatch center with MPD Officers.

      I know that it's tough to do this with the lack of resources we have at this point in time. But I believe that it is one of the most important issues to address for the MPD. It is one of the most frustrating experiences as a citizen to call 311/911 and have a rude individual give me wrong information and tell me that nothing is going to happen. It looks bad for 311/911 and it looks even worse for MPD as most people I know think that the dispatchers ARE in fact MPD officers.

      Patrick Nelson
      1900 Block of H Street NE

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      BLOG: http://arodeojock.blogspot.com/
      Yahoo: aRodeoJock
      KICKBALL: http://-teamflameon-.blogspot.com/

      "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
      -James Madison

      "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
      -Howard Zinn, Historian

      "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason."
      -Thomas Paine

      From: "Groomes, Diane (MPD)" <diane.groomes@...>

    • cninney@netscape.net

        From: "Groomes, Diane (MPD)" <diane.groomes@...>
        > POLICE go to calls for service -- a dispatcher cannot make that decision
        >
        > Mr. Kailian I suggest you meet with your PSA 101 team to resolve issues you
        have
        > put on the listserv
        >
        > DCRA is the agency that DOES BUSINESS LICENSING IN THE CITY and it would be
        good
        > to hear confirmation from them that this business should be closed -- we have
        > not been officially notified by that agency on
        > this closure
        >
        > ________________________________

        Policing for Prevention
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
          Hello All:

          I share Mr. Nelson's frustration with the dispatchers who are sometimes
          argumentative and not very helpful.
          At the last PSA 504 meeting I asked our Lieutenant to invite Ms. Janice
          Quintana, to our next PSA meeting. Ms. Quintana serves as the director of the
          Office of Unified Communications, which is responsible for answering 311 and 911
          calls.

          Ms. Quintana is unable to attend our meeting tomorrow and I look forward to
          her attending the next meeting and providing some answers about her staff.

          It may be useful to invite Ms. Quintana to attend the other Ward 5 PSA
          meetings.

          Sincerely,

          Kathy

        • Caro Alcuaz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
            I have been complaining about dispatchers since March 2006.

            Every time I ask for a supervisor, they say that they will investigate.

            It takes months for them to get back to me, and when they do, they say that they don't have the details of the case.

            I guess it's my fault for not keeping a record for that long. I actually have it in my e-mails but I have better things to do right now.

            It's either that someone there is incompetent or this is a tactic someone there uses to weasel out of being accountable.

          • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2007
              Good Morning Mr. Alcuaz,

              Lt. Anderson is in contact with OUF, she is currently working to get the
              new Administration to address the concerns of the 5D Community and to
              come to our PSA meetings. Last year we were able to have them make a
              presentation at the PSA 501 meeting. A small group of PSA 501
              Community members toured their operation last September; I'd like to
              scheduled another visit in their new facility. I'll keep the group
              informed about updates.

              Fayette Vaughn-Lee

              5D Community Outreach Coordinator

              202 698-0188