Drug Use, etc in Alley Behind O st NW

  • kevinlaverne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2013
      With the warmer weather, I have been seeing a significant increase in drug use and sex and excessive loitering and sleeping (usually paired with drug use) in the dead-end alley behind O st NW (the section paralleling O st closest to 1st). I have called 911 when I have seen anything illegal happening, but have been seeing people almost on a daily basis. Specifically, there is a corner in the dead-end where people can be unseen from the rest of the alley and sometimes I don't notice anyone there until they are leaving.

      There are numerous crack vials, liquor bottles and condoms which wind up there, and my attempt at putting up a motion-detecting light in the alley resulted in it being ripped down and the batteries stolen.

      In addition to calling 911, is there anything which can be done to increase in the safety in alleys?

      Thanks.
    • Robin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2013
        Agreed! There is lots of transactional sex and drug use that usually ends before the cops arrive.
        79 Hanover (the empty falling down) building is great to hide behind. It would be wonderful if that could be teared down.

        Robin Knight
      • Eliza Auckerman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013

          Because that alley is narrow and full of trash, it gives the appearance of an unmonitored place for illicit activities. I agree that removing the 79 Hanover Pl structure would open up the space and provide less cover. However, I also feel I constantly have requests in to 311 about cleaning up the alley, addressing the downed utility lines, repairing the streetlight, etc., and even when those items are closed, the issues remain.

          For MPD's part, I have noticed an increase in patrol cars coming down Hanover Pl to the terminus at number 79, and I very much appreciate that. I would ask you increase foot and bike patrols all the way around the structure and to the dead end mentioned in the places the alley is too narrow for the patrol cars.

          Thank you.

          On Jun 17, 2013 8:12 AM, "Robin" <crknightdc@...> wrote:

          Agreed! There is lots of transactional sex and drug use that usually ends before the cops arrive.
          79 Hanover (the empty falling down) building is great to hide behind. It would be wonderful if that could be teared down.

          Robin Knight

        • tvehunt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
            I too totally agreed!! I have complain on the behave of my friend and myself about the trespassing on homeowners properties, drug use, sex activities etc. Also, I have been putting in a complaint about the back alley lights being out for a long periods of time, for one minutes the back alley light will be on little after sundown and will go out for the rest of the evening and this is what attract the crimminals to do all kinds of illegal activities in the back alleys.

            We need the MPD to patrol the back area and for DDOT to finally fix the lights behind O Street NW and the other one next to the SOME HOUSE at 71 O Street NW, it has been almost two months that the street lights has been out and nothing has been done about it!

            A response to this matter is greatly appreciated.

            Thank you.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Robin <crknightdc@...> wrote:

            > Agreed! There is lots of transactional sex and drug use that usually ends before the cops arrive.
            > 79 Hanover (the empty falling down) building is great to hide behind. It would be wonderful if that could be teared down.
            >
            > Robin Knight

          • Beach, Mark (MPD)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
              Thank you for providing this detailed information to us and I will ensure that our Patrol Service Team, Vice Office and Street Crimes Unit receives this information to follow up on as well.

              Mark Beach
              Assistant Patrol District Commander
              Metropolitan DC Police Department
              Fifth Police District
              1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
              Washington, DC 20002
              202-345-1313 BeachBerry
              202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
              202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
              202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
              202-727-9099 Command Information Center
              "Commitment to Excellence"

              OneCityYouth.DC.gov is your new, one-stop source for summer activities for District youth.
              Head to the site today for programs & services for young people across the District!

              I too totally agreed!! I have complain on the behave of my friend and myself about the trespassing on homeowners properties, drug use, sex activities etc. Also, I have been putting in a complaint about the back alley lights being out for a long periods of time, for one minutes the back alley light will be on little after sundown and will go out for the rest of the evening and this is what attract the crimminals to do all kinds of illegal activities in the back alleys.

              We need the MPD to patrol the back area and for DDOT to finally fix the lights behind O Street NW and the other one next to the SOME HOUSE at 71 O Street NW, it has been almost two months that the street lights has been out and nothing has been done about it!

              A response to this matter is greatly appreciated.

              Thank you.

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Robin <crknightdc@...> wrote:

              > Agreed! There is lots of transactional sex and drug use that usually ends before the cops arrive.
              > 79 Hanover (the empty falling down) building is great to hide behind. It would be wonderful if that could be teared down.
              >
              > Robin Knight

            • tvehunt
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
                Thank you very much for your response concerning this matter as mention earlier.

                You have a blessed day/evening.

                tvehunt