Kids scouting for break in opportunities

  • Elizabeth Lyttleton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
      Wednesday afternoon at around 5pm, my husband was in our back yard on the Unit Block of R St NE.  (We have a large wooden fence which hides most of our yard, but you can see in and up to the house from our gate, which is metal.)  A couple of young teens (14-15ish) popped their head through the gate, and one of them said (not knowing my husband was there, because he was in a corner of the yard that they couldn't see), "So how are we going to get in here?"

      Hindsight is 20/20, and he wishes he'd waited to see if they actually tried to get in, because it wouldn't have been easy.  But instead, he responded with something like, "I don't know, but I wouldn't try if I were you!"  Needless to say the kids ran down the alley, and my husband couldn't get out of our locked gate fast enough to get a good description of them.  He did meet up with a neighbor in the alley, who said he'd watched the kids coming up the alley for awhile, peeking in gates and checking out cars parked on parking pads.

      So, it appears that the summer crime season is upon us.  Even if they were pretty dumb would-be criminals (really, casing houses at 5pm?), they were being pretty brazen.  Any an emphasis on alley patrols by the MPD would be appreciated.  And please, neighbors, let's look out for each other.

      Best,

      Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
      Unit Block of R St NE
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013

        Can you provide a description of the kids please?  It would be helpful.

        Also, did you or your husband call 911?

        Andy Solberg

        moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the District’s transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
        Visit www.wemovedc.org for more information.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
          Unfortunately, it all happened so fast that my husband can't give much of a description other than it was two approx 14-15 year old African American boys.  One was shorter (5'1? 5'2?) and a little chubby, one was taller (5'5? 5'6?) and skinnier, and the shorter one has close cut hair.  Bert and Ernie, my husband says.

          He did not call 911 at the time, partly because the kids were long gone, and hadn't actually done anything illegal as yet.  He asked me to email this list afterwards, but would also have been happy to call 911 if it would make a difference.

          Thanks for the follow up.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
            Thanks for the update.  It is good that your husband was able to scare the kids off.  We do see kids this young breaking into houses, so he was right to send them off quickly and without confrontation.

            In cases like this, it is also good to call 911 as soon as possible.

            Andy Solberg

            Sent from my iPad