MBT Security Approach and Proactive Resonse to Last Nights Assault

  • policefsu13
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
      Fifth Police District Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department are aggressively investigating the aggravated assault of an adult male that occurred along the Bike Trail, 300 R St NE within Patrol Service Area 502.

      On June 11, 2013 at approximately 5:35 PM, Fifth District Patrol Officers responded to the Metropolitan Branch Trail just east of the 300 block of R Street NE for the report of an aggravated assault. On the scene, they met with the complainant, who advised that he was biking along the path when he was struck multiple times by a male suspect, who then fled southbound on the trail with a large group of juvenile subjects. Nothing was requested or taken from our complainant and we do not believe that Robbery was a motive.

      Fifth Police District Detectives are relentlessly following up on all leads and evidence in this unprovoked attack and ask that anyone who believes they know the identity of the male suspect involved or members of the group of young people he was with to contact the Metropolitan Police Department on 202-727-9099 immediately.

      Based upon this offense, we have received a number of questions concerning the MBT. Allow us to address your concerns here.

      1) MPD has continuously patrolled the MBT on foot, mountain bike and on Segway's.

      2) The majority of folks who utilize the MBT have felt comfortable on the Trail and in/around the neighborhoods leading to the Trail and we encourage users to continue to use it. It is safe.

      3) This was an unprovoked assault by a lone individual and not a pattern connected to other criminal offenses that were reported to MPD

      4) We are committed to exploring every investigative lead in bring this offender(s) to justice
    • Stephanie A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
        There will be a MPD-5 walk thru tomorrow, June 20, 2013 at 5pm in the
        neighborhood. The Chief of Police and partner government agencies
        will be present.
        Any questions contact, the Fifth District Station--Metropolitan
        Police Department.

        FYI,
        Stephanie

        533 Regent Place NE

        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        From: paul.r.dueringer@...
        Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:10:38 -0400
        Subject: [MPD-5D] MBT Security Questions

        I have some questions about the assault incident on the MBT trail last night.  It is hard to believe this happened during evening hour commute. The article in the post indicated this was not a robbery, see link:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/bicyclist-severely-beaten-on-dc-trail/2013/06/11/b61e2f3a-d300-11e2-8cbe-1bcbee06f8f8_story.html

        The question I have from resident are as follows:

        1. What is the current patrolling plan for the MBT?

        2. Is the DC police department planning any increased patrolling?

        3. When are we likely to see officers on the trail (From Union towards Silver Spring)?

        4. Who is responsible for patrolling the trail? Or is it shared across districts?

        5. What other information about crime on the MBT do you think residents need to know?

        Paul Dueringer
        CR Neighborhood Watch Coordinator

      • Debbie Steiner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
          What is the starting point.  And you know that CM McDuffie is having his Crime meeting today at Israel Baptist Church.

          Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

                 Booker T. Washington

          To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013

            It will start at the parking lot near Forman Mills at 4th and Rhode Island Avenue, and it is expected to be over in an hour so that people can make it to Israel Baptist by 6:30.

            Andy Solberg

            OneCityYouth.DC.gov is your new, one-stop source for summer activities for District youth.
            Head to the site today for programs & services for young people across the District!