MBT Security Questions

  • paul dueringer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013

      I have some questions about the assault incident on the MBT trail last night.  It is hard to believe this happened during evening hour commute. The article in the post indicated this was not a robbery, see link:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/bicyclist-severely-beaten-on-dc-trail/2013/06/11/b61e2f3a-d300-11e2-8cbe-1bcbee06f8f8_story.html

      The question I have from resident are as follows:

      1. What is the current patrolling plan for the MBT?

      2. Is the DC police department planning any increased patrolling?

      3. When are we likely to see officers on the trail (From Union towards Silver Spring)?

      4. Who is responsible for patrolling the trail? Or is it shared across districts?

      5. What other information about crime on the MBT do you think residents need to know?

      Paul Dueringer

      CR Neighborhood Watch Coordinator

    • Lyly Y
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
        The man who was assaulted in the MBT yesterday is my colleague and he is in his 30.
        This is a really sad story, I left work around 5pm and he was was still there and I came back at 9 am and I was wondering why he wasn't there yet and they I get this news.

        I am very shaken and troubled as I am writing this email. Also as a resident of the neighborhood where this happened, I feel really bad, sad and ashamed! This has to stop! It seems like the police has stopped or decreased patrolling the MBT otherwise these kids will not feel so confortable assaulting people on broad day light and they didn't even rob him!

        What is the police doing about this? Did the police decrease their patrolling, are they looking for suspect?? The people who did this will be hanging around the MBT again and I think it shouldn't be that hard to catch them.

        I would really appreciate if the police can address this promptly.
        Thanks, Lyly

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
          Fifth Police District Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department are aggressively investigating the aggravated assault of an adult male that occurred along the Bike Trail, 300 R St NE within Patrol Service Area 502.

          On June 11, 2013 at approximately 5:35 PM, Fifth District Patrol Officers responded to the Metropolitan Branch Trail just east of the 300 block of R Street NE for the report of an aggravated assault. On the scene, they met with the complainant, who advised that he was biking along the path when he was struck multiple times by a male suspect, who then fled southbound on the trail with a large group of juvenile subjects. Nothing was requested or taken from our complainant and we do not believe that Robbery was a motive.

          Fifth Police District Detectives are relentlessly following up on all leads and evidence in this unprovoked attack and ask that anyone who believes they know the identity of the male suspect involved or members of the group of young people he was with to contact the Metropolitan Police Department on 202-727-9099 immediately.

          Based upon this offense, we have received a number of questions concerning the MBT. Allow us to address your concerns here.

          1) MPD has continuously patrolled the MBT on foot, mountain bike and on Segway's.

          2) The majority of folks who utilize the MBT have felt comfortable on the Trail and in/around the neighborhoods leading to the Trail and we encourage users to continue to use it. It is safe.

          3) This was an unprovoked assault by a lone individual and not a pattern connected to other criminal offenses that were reported to MPD

          4) We are committed to exploring every investigative lead in bring this offender(s) to justice
        • Stephanie A. Robinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
            There will be a MPD-5 walk thru tomorrow, June 20, 2013 at 5pm in the
            neighborhood. The Chief of Police and partner government agencies
            will be present.
            Any questions contact, the Fifth District Station--Metropolitan
            Police Department.

            FYI,
            Stephanie

            533 Regent Place NE

            To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013
              What is the starting point.  And you know that CM McDuffie is having his Crime meeting today at Israel Baptist Church.

              Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

                     Booker T. Washington

              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2013

                It will start at the parking lot near Forman Mills at 4th and Rhode Island Avenue, and it is expected to be over in an hour so that people can make it to Israel Baptist by 6:30.

                Andy Solberg

                OneCityYouth.DC.gov is your new, one-stop source for summer activities for District youth.
                Head to the site today for programs & services for young people across the District!